Mar 15, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
John Vanbiesbrouck set what was the Philadelphia Flyers’ shutout streak record at 227 minutes and 40 seconds in 1999, but that run is now a thing of the past. Red-hot goalie Ilya Bryzgalov extended his streak to at least 228 minutes tonight in a game that is still going on against the New York Islanders.
Naturally, the focus then shifts to the modern NHL record. Oddly enough, a former Flyers goalie holds that mark, as Brian Boucher set it at 332 minutes and one second with the Phoenix Coyotes in 2004.
The Flyers are currently up 3-0 on the Islanders with a little more than a period to go. Breezy still has quite a ways to go to flirt with Boucher’s modern-day record, but let there be no doubt that Philly is ecstatic that he’s even in the conversation right now.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 36
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 2
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 18
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13