Mar 15, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
John Vanbiesbrouck set what was the Philadelphia Flyers’ shutout streak record at 227 minutes and 40 seconds in 1999, but that run is now a thing of the past. Red-hot goalie Ilya Bryzgalov extended his streak to at least 228 minutes tonight in a game that is still going on against the New York Islanders.
Naturally, the focus then shifts to the modern NHL record. Oddly enough, a former Flyers goalie holds that mark, as Brian Boucher set it at 332 minutes and one second with the Phoenix Coyotes in 2004.
The Flyers are currently up 3-0 on the Islanders with a little more than a period to go. Breezy still has quite a ways to go to flirt with Boucher’s modern-day record, but let there be no doubt that Philly is ecstatic that he’s even in the conversation right now.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 2
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 42
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 72
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 25
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40