Mar 15, 2012, 9:59 AM EDT
The Rangers might want to play a disciplined game on Thursday (7:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN), because Penguins coach Dan Bylsma has constructed a pretty scary power-play unit.
Sidney Crosby is projected to play on the third line in his return, but he’ll also be skating on the top power-play unit with Evgeni Malkin. There are some people who might believe that the Penguins spreading out their talent with the man advantage would be beneficial, but Bylsma isn’t one of them.
“I think we’ve always felt,” Bylsma said, “and do feel and strongly feel — all of us — that having the two best players (on the ice) is the best thing for us to have success.”
James Neal, who has been one of this season’s biggest breakout players, and Chris Kunitz are also projected to be on the ice with Malkin and Crosby. In the likely event that Kris Letang returns, he’ll probably be on the top unit instead of Steve Sullivan. On paper, it looks like arguably the best power-play unit in the NHL.
Crosby is projected to be playing the point on the power play while Kunitz will try and put himself in front of the net. Neal and Malkin will be in position to fire off one-timers.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)