Mar 15, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues came into Thursday with an interesting set of opportunities. With a win and a couple other teams’ losses, they could have been the first team to a) hit the 100-point mark and b) clinch a playoff spot this season.
While the Carolina Hurricanes have been stumbling again recently, they’re still a semi-credible threat as a spoiler – at least when Cam Ward is on his game. That was absolutely the case tonight as he stopped all 40 Blues shots to win 2-0 (and earn the 200th win of his NHL career).
The New York Rangers (95 points) also lost in regulation on Thursday, so the Blues still seem like the odds-on team to hit the century mark first anyway. More importantly, clinching a playoff berth is likely just a formality for St. Louis.
They’ll have to wait for both thanks to Carolina, though.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39