Mar 15, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues came into Thursday with an interesting set of opportunities. With a win and a couple other teams’ losses, they could have been the first team to a) hit the 100-point mark and b) clinch a playoff spot this season.
While the Carolina Hurricanes have been stumbling again recently, they’re still a semi-credible threat as a spoiler – at least when Cam Ward is on his game. That was absolutely the case tonight as he stopped all 40 Blues shots to win 2-0 (and earn the 200th win of his NHL career).
The New York Rangers (95 points) also lost in regulation on Thursday, so the Blues still seem like the odds-on team to hit the century mark first anyway. More importantly, clinching a playoff berth is likely just a formality for St. Louis.
They’ll have to wait for both thanks to Carolina, though.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)