Mar 15, 2012, 10:31 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues came into Thursday with an interesting set of opportunities. With a win and a couple other teams’ losses, they could have been the first team to a) hit the 100-point mark and b) clinch a playoff spot this season.
While the Carolina Hurricanes have been stumbling again recently, they’re still a semi-credible threat as a spoiler – at least when Cam Ward is on his game. That was absolutely the case tonight as he stopped all 40 Blues shots to win 2-0 (and earn the 200th win of his NHL career).
The New York Rangers (95 points) also lost in regulation on Thursday, so the Blues still seem like the odds-on team to hit the century mark first anyway. More importantly, clinching a playoff berth is likely just a formality for St. Louis.
They’ll have to wait for both thanks to Carolina, though.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)