Mar 15, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues came into Thursday with an interesting set of opportunities. With a win and a couple other teams’ losses, they could have been the first team to a) hit the 100-point mark and b) clinch a playoff spot this season.
While the Carolina Hurricanes have been stumbling again recently, they’re still a semi-credible threat as a spoiler – at least when Cam Ward is on his game. That was absolutely the case tonight as he stopped all 40 Blues shots to win 2-0 (and earn the 200th win of his NHL career).
The New York Rangers (95 points) also lost in regulation on Thursday, so the Blues still seem like the odds-on team to hit the century mark first anyway. More importantly, clinching a playoff berth is likely just a formality for St. Louis.
They’ll have to wait for both thanks to Carolina, though.
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 2
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 8
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 13
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 51
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 49
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 25
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (79)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)