Mar 15, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
Brian Burke doesn’t like being asked about his job security, but will his actions speak louder than words when it comes to the Leafs’ first-round draft pick?
In the midst of a horrendous collapse, Toronto’s all but officially eliminated from the playoff race. In fact, the Leafs have fallen so dramatically in the standings that they might end up with a chance to get the first overall draft selection this summer.
Which brings us to the general manager – would he be willing to trade that pick for immediate help? Because if he doesn’t make the playoffs soon, the calls for his job will only intensify.
“[We’re] inclined to keep the pick,” Burke said, as reported by the Globe and Mail, “but listening [to offers] already.
Not that trading the pick would necessarily be a bad idea – it just depends on the deal. But we all know the heat Burke’s taken for the Phil Kessel trade that netted Boston blue-chip prospects Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton. Kessel’s been good in Toronto, but he only has two seasons left before he can become an unrestricted free agent. Seguin and Hamilton are tied to the Bruins for much longer.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 0
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 44
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 61
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 44
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)