Mar 15, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
Brian Burke doesn’t like being asked about his job security, but will his actions speak louder than words when it comes to the Leafs’ first-round draft pick?
In the midst of a horrendous collapse, Toronto’s all but officially eliminated from the playoff race. In fact, the Leafs have fallen so dramatically in the standings that they might end up with a chance to get the first overall draft selection this summer.
Which brings us to the general manager – would he be willing to trade that pick for immediate help? Because if he doesn’t make the playoffs soon, the calls for his job will only intensify.
“[We’re] inclined to keep the pick,” Burke said, as reported by the Globe and Mail, “but listening [to offers] already.
Not that trading the pick would necessarily be a bad idea – it just depends on the deal. But we all know the heat Burke’s taken for the Phil Kessel trade that netted Boston blue-chip prospects Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton. Kessel’s been good in Toronto, but he only has two seasons left before he can become an unrestricted free agent. Seguin and Hamilton are tied to the Bruins for much longer.
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 15
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 27
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 34
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)