Mar 15, 2012, 12:22 PM EST
Brian Burke doesn’t like being asked about his job security, but will his actions speak louder than words when it comes to the Leafs’ first-round draft pick?
In the midst of a horrendous collapse, Toronto’s all but officially eliminated from the playoff race. In fact, the Leafs have fallen so dramatically in the standings that they might end up with a chance to get the first overall draft selection this summer.
Which brings us to the general manager – would he be willing to trade that pick for immediate help? Because if he doesn’t make the playoffs soon, the calls for his job will only intensify.
“[We’re] inclined to keep the pick,” Burke said, as reported by the Globe and Mail, “but listening [to offers] already.
Not that trading the pick would necessarily be a bad idea – it just depends on the deal. But we all know the heat Burke’s taken for the Phil Kessel trade that netted Boston blue-chip prospects Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton. Kessel’s been good in Toronto, but he only has two seasons left before he can become an unrestricted free agent. Seguin and Hamilton are tied to the Bruins for much longer.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)