Mar 15, 2012, 11:52 AM EST
After Wednesday’s 4-0 win over Detroit, the Anaheim Ducks found themselves sitting 12th in the Western Conference with 71 points — nine back of eighth-place Colorado — with 11 games left to play.
For some, getting into the playoffs from this position would represent a monumental, if not impossible, challenge.
Not so for Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau.
“It can be done,” he told the OC Register. “Until I look and do the math and we’re six points out with two games to go or things like that, we’re going to fight and see where it leads.”
If the Ducks do go 11-0 down the stretch — the quest for 12 started with last night’s victory over Detroit — it still might not be enough, as it would leave them with 93 points. Chicago was the No. 8 seed a year ago with 97 (ninth-place Dallas had 95, 10th-place Calgary had 94). You’d have to go all the way back to 2008-09 to find a Western Conference playoff team with 93 points or fewer.
That said, Boudreau has reason for optimism. During his first year in Washington, the Capitals won 11 of their final 12 games, making the postseason on the last day — going from 72 points to 94. It marked one of the more stirring comebacks in recent NHL history.
“When I’m preaching that it can happen, it’s not like it hasn’t happened,” Boudreau said. “The schedule has not been in our favor, but now it starts to turn in our favor.
“Whether it’s too late or not, we’ll see.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)