Mar 15, 2012, 11:52 AM EST
After Wednesday’s 4-0 win over Detroit, the Anaheim Ducks found themselves sitting 12th in the Western Conference with 71 points — nine back of eighth-place Colorado — with 11 games left to play.
For some, getting into the playoffs from this position would represent a monumental, if not impossible, challenge.
Not so for Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau.
“It can be done,” he told the OC Register. “Until I look and do the math and we’re six points out with two games to go or things like that, we’re going to fight and see where it leads.”
If the Ducks do go 11-0 down the stretch — the quest for 12 started with last night’s victory over Detroit — it still might not be enough, as it would leave them with 93 points. Chicago was the No. 8 seed a year ago with 97 (ninth-place Dallas had 95, 10th-place Calgary had 94). You’d have to go all the way back to 2008-09 to find a Western Conference playoff team with 93 points or fewer.
That said, Boudreau has reason for optimism. During his first year in Washington, the Capitals won 11 of their final 12 games, making the postseason on the last day — going from 72 points to 94. It marked one of the more stirring comebacks in recent NHL history.
“When I’m preaching that it can happen, it’s not like it hasn’t happened,” Boudreau said. “The schedule has not been in our favor, but now it starts to turn in our favor.
“Whether it’s too late or not, we’ll see.”
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12