Mar 15, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
The same time the coach is calling out Vancouver’s best players for their lacklustre performance, Kevin Bieksa is calling out the fans for the exact same thing.
The Canucks’ defenseman decided to go on the record with his concerns after Thursday’s game at Rogers Arena when Winnipeg Jets fans out-cheered the regulars.
“When you’re at home and the road team has a louder crowd, it’s a little embarrassing,” Bieksa told The Province. “I don’t think we want that to happen to us.”
He added: “A lot time when you’re down in the game or you’re going through a lull in the second period, the crowd can give the team a boost. We’ve got to be working together here. We both want the same thing which is the Stanley Cup. So we’ll work for you if you work for us.”
Bieksa’s playing with fire by criticizing the paying customer, and the “we’ll work for you if you work for us” comment might rankle some. That said, most Canucks fans would agree that Rogers Arena can be rather, um, tranquil at times.
Predictably, the same-old excuse is being trotted out in the comments section below the column – the crowd would be plenty loud if it were “real” Canucks fans in the lower bowl, not a bunch of suits entertaining clients.
But that’s a copout. There are plenty of corporate types at rinks like Madison Square Garden, and they still manage to make noise.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 8
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)