Mar 15, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
The same time the coach is calling out Vancouver’s best players for their lacklustre performance, Kevin Bieksa is calling out the fans for the exact same thing.
The Canucks’ defenseman decided to go on the record with his concerns after Thursday’s game at Rogers Arena when Winnipeg Jets fans out-cheered the regulars.
“When you’re at home and the road team has a louder crowd, it’s a little embarrassing,” Bieksa told The Province. “I don’t think we want that to happen to us.”
He added: “A lot time when you’re down in the game or you’re going through a lull in the second period, the crowd can give the team a boost. We’ve got to be working together here. We both want the same thing which is the Stanley Cup. So we’ll work for you if you work for us.”
Bieksa’s playing with fire by criticizing the paying customer, and the “we’ll work for you if you work for us” comment might rankle some. That said, most Canucks fans would agree that Rogers Arena can be rather, um, tranquil at times.
Predictably, the same-old excuse is being trotted out in the comments section below the column – the crowd would be plenty loud if it were “real” Canucks fans in the lower bowl, not a bunch of suits entertaining clients.
But that’s a copout. There are plenty of corporate types at rinks like Madison Square Garden, and they still manage to make noise.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 10
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)