Mar 15, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
The same time the coach is calling out Vancouver’s best players for their lacklustre performance, Kevin Bieksa is calling out the fans for the exact same thing.
The Canucks’ defenseman decided to go on the record with his concerns after Thursday’s game at Rogers Arena when Winnipeg Jets fans out-cheered the regulars.
“When you’re at home and the road team has a louder crowd, it’s a little embarrassing,” Bieksa told The Province. “I don’t think we want that to happen to us.”
He added: “A lot time when you’re down in the game or you’re going through a lull in the second period, the crowd can give the team a boost. We’ve got to be working together here. We both want the same thing which is the Stanley Cup. So we’ll work for you if you work for us.”
Bieksa’s playing with fire by criticizing the paying customer, and the “we’ll work for you if you work for us” comment might rankle some. That said, most Canucks fans would agree that Rogers Arena can be rather, um, tranquil at times.
Predictably, the same-old excuse is being trotted out in the comments section below the column – the crowd would be plenty loud if it were “real” Canucks fans in the lower bowl, not a bunch of suits entertaining clients.
But that’s a copout. There are plenty of corporate types at rinks like Madison Square Garden, and they still manage to make noise.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 24
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 2
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)