Mar 15, 2012, 12:36 AM EDT
If you watch NHL Network often, you’ve probably seen the video of Jacques Plante coming into a game after his team’s starting goalie was unable to play because his mask was thrown into the crowd.
I couldn’t help but think back to that clip when hearing of Dallas Stars’ tough guy Adam Burish‘s antics. In case you haven’t heard, Burish threw a Winnipeg Jets player’s glove into the crowd at the MTS Centre as part of a scrum during what would eventually be a 5-2 Winnipeg win. Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski provides a frame-by-fame look as video isn’t available just yet:
Wyshynski indicates that it was Tanner Glass‘ glove and captures the scene:
As Burish was being escorted to the penalty box by linesman Bryan Pancich, he leaned down and picked up a Jets player’s glove. Carrying it in his right hand, he hurled it over the glass with an underhand toss, a few rows deep, before reaching the sin bin.
Tanner Glass was not amused. He rushed over and shoved the linesman out of the way — before sandwiching him in an attempt to get to Burish. (Not sure what the League will think of that.) Glass missed with a haymaker on Burish before the other linesman and a referee arrived to break up the fight.
Both players were given roughing minors and misconducts. Burish was given an unsportsmanlike conduct minor and a game misconduct. If he receives anything else from the NHL, hopefully it’s just a fine. While not the epitome of class, this isn’t a suspendable offense.
What do you think? Is Burish deserving of a suspension for his equipment-related tomfoolery? Will NHL Network create video tributes for that scene? Do tell.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7