Mar 15, 2012, 12:36 AM EDT
If you watch NHL Network often, you’ve probably seen the video of Jacques Plante coming into a game after his team’s starting goalie was unable to play because his mask was thrown into the crowd.
I couldn’t help but think back to that clip when hearing of Dallas Stars’ tough guy Adam Burish‘s antics. In case you haven’t heard, Burish threw a Winnipeg Jets player’s glove into the crowd at the MTS Centre as part of a scrum during what would eventually be a 5-2 Winnipeg win. Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski provides a frame-by-fame look as video isn’t available just yet:
Wyshynski indicates that it was Tanner Glass‘ glove and captures the scene:
As Burish was being escorted to the penalty box by linesman Bryan Pancich, he leaned down and picked up a Jets player’s glove. Carrying it in his right hand, he hurled it over the glass with an underhand toss, a few rows deep, before reaching the sin bin.
Tanner Glass was not amused. He rushed over and shoved the linesman out of the way — before sandwiching him in an attempt to get to Burish. (Not sure what the League will think of that.) Glass missed with a haymaker on Burish before the other linesman and a referee arrived to break up the fight.
Both players were given roughing minors and misconducts. Burish was given an unsportsmanlike conduct minor and a game misconduct. If he receives anything else from the NHL, hopefully it’s just a fine. While not the epitome of class, this isn’t a suspendable offense.
What do you think? Is Burish deserving of a suspension for his equipment-related tomfoolery? Will NHL Network create video tributes for that scene? Do tell.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 2
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)