Mar 15, 2012, 12:36 AM EDT
If you watch NHL Network often, you’ve probably seen the video of Jacques Plante coming into a game after his team’s starting goalie was unable to play because his mask was thrown into the crowd.
I couldn’t help but think back to that clip when hearing of Dallas Stars’ tough guy Adam Burish‘s antics. In case you haven’t heard, Burish threw a Winnipeg Jets player’s glove into the crowd at the MTS Centre as part of a scrum during what would eventually be a 5-2 Winnipeg win. Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski provides a frame-by-fame look as video isn’t available just yet:
Wyshynski indicates that it was Tanner Glass‘ glove and captures the scene:
As Burish was being escorted to the penalty box by linesman Bryan Pancich, he leaned down and picked up a Jets player’s glove. Carrying it in his right hand, he hurled it over the glass with an underhand toss, a few rows deep, before reaching the sin bin.
Tanner Glass was not amused. He rushed over and shoved the linesman out of the way — before sandwiching him in an attempt to get to Burish. (Not sure what the League will think of that.) Glass missed with a haymaker on Burish before the other linesman and a referee arrived to break up the fight.
Both players were given roughing minors and misconducts. Burish was given an unsportsmanlike conduct minor and a game misconduct. If he receives anything else from the NHL, hopefully it’s just a fine. While not the epitome of class, this isn’t a suspendable offense.
What do you think? Is Burish deserving of a suspension for his equipment-related tomfoolery? Will NHL Network create video tributes for that scene? Do tell.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)