Mar 14, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
Travis Zajac got a bit of good news recently when his doctors informed him that he’s “OK to amp up” his skating. Zajac said that the next step for him is to return to practice, although a date has not been set.
“Lou and the training staff will have a chat about it soon and I’ll know more from there,” Zajac said, referring to Devils GM Lou Lamoriello.
Zajac has only played in eight games due to issues with his left Achilles tendon. His return would provide the Devils with some extra depth, but it will be interesting to see how he fits into their lineup. Adam Henrique has settled in as the team’s top line center and it seems unlikely that Patrik Elias will shift from center to the wing at this stage of the season.
Although a shakeup is certainly possible, Zajac might serve on the third line when he returns, which might actually be for the best given how much time he has missed.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)