Mar 14, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
Travis Zajac got a bit of good news recently when his doctors informed him that he’s “OK to amp up” his skating. Zajac said that the next step for him is to return to practice, although a date has not been set.
“Lou and the training staff will have a chat about it soon and I’ll know more from there,” Zajac said, referring to Devils GM Lou Lamoriello.
Zajac has only played in eight games due to issues with his left Achilles tendon. His return would provide the Devils with some extra depth, but it will be interesting to see how he fits into their lineup. Adam Henrique has settled in as the team’s top line center and it seems unlikely that Patrik Elias will shift from center to the wing at this stage of the season.
Although a shakeup is certainly possible, Zajac might serve on the third line when he returns, which might actually be for the best given how much time he has missed.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)