Mar 14, 2012, 2:07 AM EDT
On an action-packed Tuesday, it only makes sense to tie up some loose ends by covering the Western Conference developments in a quick-hit format.
- To save time, read up here on Kari Lehtonen‘s hot run and how the Dallas Stars expanded their Pacific Division lead with a 1-0 win against the Minnesota Wild.
- Clearing up the other divisional race matters, the St. Louis Blues improved their lead in the Central even though the Chicago Blackhawks topped them 4-3 via a shootout. Check out highlights of that contest – which ended Jaroslav Halak‘s eight-game winning streak – below.
- Moving beyond the idle seventh-ranked Phoenix Coyotes, the eighth through 11th seeds are all locked up at 78 points in large part because of Tuesday’s games. The San Jose Sharks are currently in eighth place, but that’s only due to tie-breakers as the ninth-ranked Calgary Flames won 3-2 in overtime:
That game presented a little of the old and the new; Jarome Iginla and Logan Couture both hit the 30-goal mark – making it 11 seasons in a row for Iggy and two straight campaigns at that plateau for the young Sharks forward.
- Finally, the Los Angeles Kings are technically in 10th place although they’re essentially tied for eighth place after beating the Detroit Red Wings 5-2.
The contest was notable for two reasons beyond the standings impact: Jeff Carter‘s empty-netter makes it five consecutive seasons with at least 20 goals while Jimmy Howard lost in his return, allowing four goals on 26 shots:
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)