Mar 14, 2012, 2:07 AM EDT
On an action-packed Tuesday, it only makes sense to tie up some loose ends by covering the Western Conference developments in a quick-hit format.
- To save time, read up here on Kari Lehtonen‘s hot run and how the Dallas Stars expanded their Pacific Division lead with a 1-0 win against the Minnesota Wild.
- Clearing up the other divisional race matters, the St. Louis Blues improved their lead in the Central even though the Chicago Blackhawks topped them 4-3 via a shootout. Check out highlights of that contest – which ended Jaroslav Halak‘s eight-game winning streak – below.
- Moving beyond the idle seventh-ranked Phoenix Coyotes, the eighth through 11th seeds are all locked up at 78 points in large part because of Tuesday’s games. The San Jose Sharks are currently in eighth place, but that’s only due to tie-breakers as the ninth-ranked Calgary Flames won 3-2 in overtime:
That game presented a little of the old and the new; Jarome Iginla and Logan Couture both hit the 30-goal mark – making it 11 seasons in a row for Iggy and two straight campaigns at that plateau for the young Sharks forward.
- Finally, the Los Angeles Kings are technically in 10th place although they’re essentially tied for eighth place after beating the Detroit Red Wings 5-2.
The contest was notable for two reasons beyond the standings impact: Jeff Carter‘s empty-netter makes it five consecutive seasons with at least 20 goals while Jimmy Howard lost in his return, allowing four goals on 26 shots:
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 1
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)