Mar 14, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT
Surprise news from the Capitals this morning as concussed playmaker Nicklas Backstrom was on the ice this morning getting a skate in as Mike Vogel from the Caps’ website tweeted today. Even more surprising is the fact that this was Backstrom’s second day in a row that he’s skated, the first time he’s done that since early January.
Tarik El-Bashir of The Washington Post reports Backstrom skated for about 20 minutes. It’s a small step, but one that should give the Caps a mental lift for now. Backstrom has been out since January thanks to a hit in the head from then Flames forward Rene Bourque.
With the Capitals now with a four point lead on having the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference playoff race, if Backstrom is able to return to action this season it’ll be a huge lift to a team that’s severely missed their best setup man. Let’s not get too excited though, a 20 minute skate is just a quick breeze through and certainly not a full practice with contact.
If the Caps can make the playoffs and he’s able to come back by then, the East’s top teams might have to worry about dealing with a healthy and more dangerous team.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (80)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)