Mar 14, 2012, 11:23 AM EST
Surprise news from the Capitals this morning as concussed playmaker Nicklas Backstrom was on the ice this morning getting a skate in as Mike Vogel from the Caps’ website tweeted today. Even more surprising is the fact that this was Backstrom’s second day in a row that he’s skated, the first time he’s done that since early January.
Tarik El-Bashir of The Washington Post reports Backstrom skated for about 20 minutes. It’s a small step, but one that should give the Caps a mental lift for now. Backstrom has been out since January thanks to a hit in the head from then Flames forward Rene Bourque.
With the Capitals now with a four point lead on having the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference playoff race, if Backstrom is able to return to action this season it’ll be a huge lift to a team that’s severely missed their best setup man. Let’s not get too excited though, a 20 minute skate is just a quick breeze through and certainly not a full practice with contact.
If the Caps can make the playoffs and he’s able to come back by then, the East’s top teams might have to worry about dealing with a healthy and more dangerous team.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 26
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)