Mar 14, 2012, 1:56 PM EDT
When the Sharks and Avalanche did their deadline deal sending Jamie McGinn to Colorado in exchange for T.J. Galiardi and Daniel Winnik it looked like the sort of deal that showed the Sharks were loading up while the Avalanche were thinning the roster.
What the Sharks didn’t expect to happen was seeing Galiardi and Winnik fail to score goals while McGinn became a breakout scorer in Denver with seven points in seven games. Making things more awkward for San Jose is that their offense has dried up completely since the trade.
Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com checks in on how poorly things have gone for the Sharks since then and how McGinn was apparently the glue that held it all together.
[McGinn’s] presence and steady game also allowed McLellan to keep his top two scoring lines generally intact, give or take some tinkering here and there. Everything was in place.
But in the last eight games, the numbers speak for themselves. Ryane Clowe has a single goal; Joe Pavelski and Patrick Marleau have a goal and an assist; and Tommy Wingels, who was playing on the second line before he was hurt in Edmonton, has one assist in seven games.
That’s a remarkable drought for a lot of talented players. Logan Couture has been the one guy who hasn’t slumped since then but one man can’t make an entire team. Considering that both the Avs and Sharks are in the hunt for the final two spots in the West, this might not be the last time we end up referencing this trade.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)