Mar 14, 2012, 1:56 PM EDT
When the Sharks and Avalanche did their deadline deal sending Jamie McGinn to Colorado in exchange for T.J. Galiardi and Daniel Winnik it looked like the sort of deal that showed the Sharks were loading up while the Avalanche were thinning the roster.
What the Sharks didn’t expect to happen was seeing Galiardi and Winnik fail to score goals while McGinn became a breakout scorer in Denver with seven points in seven games. Making things more awkward for San Jose is that their offense has dried up completely since the trade.
Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com checks in on how poorly things have gone for the Sharks since then and how McGinn was apparently the glue that held it all together.
[McGinn's] presence and steady game also allowed McLellan to keep his top two scoring lines generally intact, give or take some tinkering here and there. Everything was in place.
But in the last eight games, the numbers speak for themselves. Ryane Clowe has a single goal; Joe Pavelski and Patrick Marleau have a goal and an assist; and Tommy Wingels, who was playing on the second line before he was hurt in Edmonton, has one assist in seven games.
That’s a remarkable drought for a lot of talented players. Logan Couture has been the one guy who hasn’t slumped since then but one man can’t make an entire team. Considering that both the Avs and Sharks are in the hunt for the final two spots in the West, this might not be the last time we end up referencing this trade.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 18
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)