Mar 14, 2012, 1:56 PM EDT
When the Sharks and Avalanche did their deadline deal sending Jamie McGinn to Colorado in exchange for T.J. Galiardi and Daniel Winnik it looked like the sort of deal that showed the Sharks were loading up while the Avalanche were thinning the roster.
What the Sharks didn’t expect to happen was seeing Galiardi and Winnik fail to score goals while McGinn became a breakout scorer in Denver with seven points in seven games. Making things more awkward for San Jose is that their offense has dried up completely since the trade.
Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com checks in on how poorly things have gone for the Sharks since then and how McGinn was apparently the glue that held it all together.
[McGinn's] presence and steady game also allowed McLellan to keep his top two scoring lines generally intact, give or take some tinkering here and there. Everything was in place.
But in the last eight games, the numbers speak for themselves. Ryane Clowe has a single goal; Joe Pavelski and Patrick Marleau have a goal and an assist; and Tommy Wingels, who was playing on the second line before he was hurt in Edmonton, has one assist in seven games.
That’s a remarkable drought for a lot of talented players. Logan Couture has been the one guy who hasn’t slumped since then but one man can’t make an entire team. Considering that both the Avs and Sharks are in the hunt for the final two spots in the West, this might not be the last time we end up referencing this trade.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)