Mar 14, 2012, 1:56 PM EST
When the Sharks and Avalanche did their deadline deal sending Jamie McGinn to Colorado in exchange for T.J. Galiardi and Daniel Winnik it looked like the sort of deal that showed the Sharks were loading up while the Avalanche were thinning the roster.
What the Sharks didn’t expect to happen was seeing Galiardi and Winnik fail to score goals while McGinn became a breakout scorer in Denver with seven points in seven games. Making things more awkward for San Jose is that their offense has dried up completely since the trade.
Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com checks in on how poorly things have gone for the Sharks since then and how McGinn was apparently the glue that held it all together.
[McGinn's] presence and steady game also allowed McLellan to keep his top two scoring lines generally intact, give or take some tinkering here and there. Everything was in place.
But in the last eight games, the numbers speak for themselves. Ryane Clowe has a single goal; Joe Pavelski and Patrick Marleau have a goal and an assist; and Tommy Wingels, who was playing on the second line before he was hurt in Edmonton, has one assist in seven games.
That’s a remarkable drought for a lot of talented players. Logan Couture has been the one guy who hasn’t slumped since then but one man can’t make an entire team. Considering that both the Avs and Sharks are in the hunt for the final two spots in the West, this might not be the last time we end up referencing this trade.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)