Mar 14, 2012, 3:37 PM EST
It’s natural to wonder if a player will change his ways in the wake of the embarrassment and financial loss that comes with a suspension. When asked if a three-game suspension would alter his approach, Washington Capitals defenseman Mike Green told the Washington Post’s Tarik El-Bashir that it wouldn’t be the case.
“It was an accident,” Green said. “I’m not going to change the way that I play. I didn’t feel like I did anything vicious or anything like that.”
But “you just got to be careful; you don’t want to put anyone in danger,” he added. “Maybe I’ll hold up a little bit, but I’ll definitely always finish my check, body-to-body.”
El-Bashir brought up an area of Green’s game that does need to change – and a real eye-opener in that. You might have been aware that Green hasn’t been the double-edged sword of a force this season, but chew on this: he hasn’t registered a single point under Dale Hunter.
Green explained it away as a stylistic change and somewhat stunningly seemed happy about a simpler game plan that means less offense. (Or at least he made such a point on the record.)
“It’s a lot easier, simpler game to play under Dale, which is a good thing,” Green said. “In the past, I was expected to get up in the play and score and make plays and be back. It was a lot of work. I still feel like could do that. But my role has changed here. And that’s fine with me.”
It’s hard for me to believe that Green – a pending restricted free agent* with a lot of money to gain or lose in the coming months – is really gushing over his altered role.
As much as people beat up on him for his defensive lapses (fair or not), the guy has displayed rare scoring skills for a blueliner and is still deep in what should be his prime years at 26. Washington is in a good position to make the playoffs – and maybe even with their division – right now, but a rejuvenated Green sure would do a lot to make them a scarier playoff opponent.
* – CapGeek lists him as a restricted free agent. It’s an interesting situation because Green will turn 27 on Oct. 12, which would likely fall just a few days after the 2012-13 season starts.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)