Mar 14, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
Yesterday when we heard that Sean Avery had announced his retirement on the Bravo Network, it’s safe to say we were all pretty surprised. The other guy caught off guard by Avery’s declaration was Rangers GM Glen Sather.
After all it was Sather who banished Avery to the AHL where he would go on to not play for the Connecticut Whale and wind up guesting on a talk show on cable. Sather thinking that Avery may have been messing with everyone decided to call his bluff as Jeff Z. Klein of the New York Times reports.
“Last I read he announced that he was retiring. So we sent him his retirement papers, but of course he wouldn’t sign them. So I don’t have any idea what he’s doing,” Sather said.
To be fair here, Avery told Larry Brooks yesterday that he’d be retiring when his contract runs out after this season, so of course he wouldn’t sign the papers right away. Giving up free money wouldn’t be the right way to end an acrimonious relationship. It also means we wouldn’t get to hear from a snarky Sather either.
Well played, Avery.
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 75
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 27
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 6
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 5
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (74)