Mar 14, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
Yesterday when we heard that Sean Avery had announced his retirement on the Bravo Network, it’s safe to say we were all pretty surprised. The other guy caught off guard by Avery’s declaration was Rangers GM Glen Sather.
After all it was Sather who banished Avery to the AHL where he would go on to not play for the Connecticut Whale and wind up guesting on a talk show on cable. Sather thinking that Avery may have been messing with everyone decided to call his bluff as Jeff Z. Klein of the New York Times reports.
“Last I read he announced that he was retiring. So we sent him his retirement papers, but of course he wouldn’t sign them. So I don’t have any idea what he’s doing,” Sather said.
To be fair here, Avery told Larry Brooks yesterday that he’d be retiring when his contract runs out after this season, so of course he wouldn’t sign the papers right away. Giving up free money wouldn’t be the right way to end an acrimonious relationship. It also means we wouldn’t get to hear from a snarky Sather either.
Well played, Avery.
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 0
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 21
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 11
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 67
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 23
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination