Mar 14, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
Yesterday when we heard that Sean Avery had announced his retirement on the Bravo Network, it’s safe to say we were all pretty surprised. The other guy caught off guard by Avery’s declaration was Rangers GM Glen Sather.
After all it was Sather who banished Avery to the AHL where he would go on to not play for the Connecticut Whale and wind up guesting on a talk show on cable. Sather thinking that Avery may have been messing with everyone decided to call his bluff as Jeff Z. Klein of the New York Times reports.
“Last I read he announced that he was retiring. So we sent him his retirement papers, but of course he wouldn’t sign them. So I don’t have any idea what he’s doing,” Sather said.
To be fair here, Avery told Larry Brooks yesterday that he’d be retiring when his contract runs out after this season, so of course he wouldn’t sign the papers right away. Giving up free money wouldn’t be the right way to end an acrimonious relationship. It also means we wouldn’t get to hear from a snarky Sather either.
Well played, Avery.
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 32
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 14
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 14
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)