Mar 14, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
Yesterday when we heard that Sean Avery had announced his retirement on the Bravo Network, it’s safe to say we were all pretty surprised. The other guy caught off guard by Avery’s declaration was Rangers GM Glen Sather.
After all it was Sather who banished Avery to the AHL where he would go on to not play for the Connecticut Whale and wind up guesting on a talk show on cable. Sather thinking that Avery may have been messing with everyone decided to call his bluff as Jeff Z. Klein of the New York Times reports.
“Last I read he announced that he was retiring. So we sent him his retirement papers, but of course he wouldn’t sign them. So I don’t have any idea what he’s doing,” Sather said.
To be fair here, Avery told Larry Brooks yesterday that he’d be retiring when his contract runs out after this season, so of course he wouldn’t sign the papers right away. Giving up free money wouldn’t be the right way to end an acrimonious relationship. It also means we wouldn’t get to hear from a snarky Sather either.
Well played, Avery.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 6
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)