Mar 14, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
If you thought that after 24 games without a goal, Mike Richards would do just about anything to get that monkey off his back, you’re wrong. After being originally credited with a goal that went off Detroit’s Ian White during Tuesday’s 5-2 victory, Richards informed the officials that he hadn’t touched the puck. As a result Drew Doughty was rewarded with his ninth goal of the season and Richards’ slump has now reached 25 contests.
“I guess it just hit (Ian) White,” Doughty said. “Rick [Mike Richards] said, right off the bat, that it didn’t hit him. It would kind of been nice to get him one, because I know once he gets one, he’s going to get on a roll and get a bunch.”
Richards has been a disappointment this season in terms of point production and even the acquisition of former Flyers’ teammate Jeff Carter hasn’t done a lot to change that. Richards did get three assists on March 3, but he’s been held off the scoresheet in seven of his last nine contests. So he certainly deserves credit for doing the right thing despite his recent struggles.
You can take a look at the goal below.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5