Mar 14, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
If you thought that after 24 games without a goal, Mike Richards would do just about anything to get that monkey off his back, you’re wrong. After being originally credited with a goal that went off Detroit’s Ian White during Tuesday’s 5-2 victory, Richards informed the officials that he hadn’t touched the puck. As a result Drew Doughty was rewarded with his ninth goal of the season and Richards’ slump has now reached 25 contests.
“I guess it just hit (Ian) White,” Doughty said. “Rick [Mike Richards] said, right off the bat, that it didn’t hit him. It would kind of been nice to get him one, because I know once he gets one, he’s going to get on a roll and get a bunch.”
Richards has been a disappointment this season in terms of point production and even the acquisition of former Flyers’ teammate Jeff Carter hasn’t done a lot to change that. Richards did get three assists on March 3, but he’s been held off the scoresheet in seven of his last nine contests. So he certainly deserves credit for doing the right thing despite his recent struggles.
You can take a look at the goal below.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)