Mar 14, 2012, 9:50 PM EST
If you thought that after 24 games without a goal, Mike Richards would do just about anything to get that monkey off his back, you’re wrong. After being originally credited with a goal that went off Detroit’s Ian White during Tuesday’s 5-2 victory, Richards informed the officials that he hadn’t touched the puck. As a result Drew Doughty was rewarded with his ninth goal of the season and Richards’ slump has now reached 25 contests.
“I guess it just hit (Ian) White,” Doughty said. “Rick [Mike Richards] said, right off the bat, that it didn’t hit him. It would kind of been nice to get him one, because I know once he gets one, he’s going to get on a roll and get a bunch.”
Richards has been a disappointment this season in terms of point production and even the acquisition of former Flyers’ teammate Jeff Carter hasn’t done a lot to change that. Richards did get three assists on March 3, but he’s been held off the scoresheet in seven of his last nine contests. So he certainly deserves credit for doing the right thing despite his recent struggles.
You can take a look at the goal below.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 7
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 9
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 8
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)