Mar 14, 2012, 9:50 PM EST
If you thought that after 24 games without a goal, Mike Richards would do just about anything to get that monkey off his back, you’re wrong. After being originally credited with a goal that went off Detroit’s Ian White during Tuesday’s 5-2 victory, Richards informed the officials that he hadn’t touched the puck. As a result Drew Doughty was rewarded with his ninth goal of the season and Richards’ slump has now reached 25 contests.
“I guess it just hit (Ian) White,” Doughty said. “Rick [Mike Richards] said, right off the bat, that it didn’t hit him. It would kind of been nice to get him one, because I know once he gets one, he’s going to get on a roll and get a bunch.”
Richards has been a disappointment this season in terms of point production and even the acquisition of former Flyers’ teammate Jeff Carter hasn’t done a lot to change that. Richards did get three assists on March 3, but he’s been held off the scoresheet in seven of his last nine contests. So he certainly deserves credit for doing the right thing despite his recent struggles.
You can take a look at the goal below.
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 0
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans': Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans': Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)