Mar 14, 2012, 9:50 PM EST
If you thought that after 24 games without a goal, Mike Richards would do just about anything to get that monkey off his back, you’re wrong. After being originally credited with a goal that went off Detroit’s Ian White during Tuesday’s 5-2 victory, Richards informed the officials that he hadn’t touched the puck. As a result Drew Doughty was rewarded with his ninth goal of the season and Richards’ slump has now reached 25 contests.
“I guess it just hit (Ian) White,” Doughty said. “Rick [Mike Richards] said, right off the bat, that it didn’t hit him. It would kind of been nice to get him one, because I know once he gets one, he’s going to get on a roll and get a bunch.”
Richards has been a disappointment this season in terms of point production and even the acquisition of former Flyers’ teammate Jeff Carter hasn’t done a lot to change that. Richards did get three assists on March 3, but he’s been held off the scoresheet in seven of his last nine contests. So he certainly deserves credit for doing the right thing despite his recent struggles.
You can take a look at the goal below.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)