Mar 14, 2012, 7:09 PM EDT
Nicklas Lidstrom will miss his eighth consecutive contest on Wednesday and it sounds like this won’t be his last game on the sidelines. He took a puck to his ankle on Feb. 25 and hasn’t played since. The good news is that there’s no fracture, but the area is still swollen more than two weeks later. He tried skating on Wednesday, but Lidstrom said that ended after “just a few minutes” because it the area was “more sore.”
The Detroit Red Wings have started to consider shutting Lidstrom down for a bit.
“We’ve talked about it,” he said. “I’m sure they’ll talk more to the coaching staff and see what the next step will be, but it’s still day-to-day. It’s discouraging that I haven’t started feeling better, as it’s going on two weeks now.”
Detroit has grown accustomed to having Lidstrom in the lineup. Since he broke into the league in 1991-92, the Red Wings have almost never been forced to play without him. Maybe that’s part of the reason why Detroit is just 3-4-0 since he got injured, although to be fair, he’s not the only star player to spend time in Detroit’s sickbay recently.
Either way, the Red Wings will have to get use to playing without Lidstrom eventually. His longevity has been remarkable and he might even decide to play beyond this season. However, he’ll be 42 in April, so it’s fair to say that Lidstrom’s going to hang up his skates sooner rather than later.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)