Mar 14, 2012, 4:48 PM EST
The NHL’s 30 teams are starting to roll out their nominees for the 2012 Bill Masterton Trophy, and so far, the choices have leaned toward star power.
The Montreal Canadiens turned to Max Pacioretty‘s inspiring return from injury (not to mention his 30 goals) and the Philadelphia Flyers decided to tab fresh-from-KHL-exile Jaromir Jagr for their choice.
The trophy is awarded to the player “who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.”
(Nothing says “perseverance” quite like skating alongside arguably the best young talent in the NHL in Claude Giroux, right? Just kidding.)
Beloved Flyers tough guy Ian Laperriere took home the 2011 trophy despite missing the entire 2010-11 season, so Jagr represents about as different a story as you could get from year-to-year. Whether the future Hall-of-Famer wins it or not, his season has been a smash success for the Flyers.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)