Flyers tab Jaromir Jagr as their 2012 Masterton nominee

Mar 14, 2012, 4:48 PM EDT

Philadelphia Flyers v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

The NHL’s 30 teams are starting to roll out their nominees for the 2012 Bill Masterton Trophy, and so far, the choices have leaned toward star power.

The Montreal Canadiens turned to Max Pacioretty‘s inspiring return from injury (not to mention his 30 goals) and the Philadelphia Flyers decided to tab fresh-from-KHL-exile Jaromir Jagr for their choice.

The trophy is awarded to the player “who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.”

(Nothing says “perseverance” quite like skating alongside arguably the best young talent in the NHL in Claude Giroux, right? Just kidding.)

Beloved Flyers tough guy Ian Laperriere took home the 2011 trophy despite missing the entire 2010-11 season, so Jagr represents about as different a story as you could get from year-to-year. Whether the future Hall-of-Famer wins it or not, his season has been a smash success for the Flyers.

1. modellforprez - Mar 14, 2012 at 5:04 PM

figure they pick jaggr. what a joke he’s a degenerate gambler and I kno for that as a fact. we have the same bookie jags you owe me 5,000 for the super bowl still!!!!!! I want my money or ur gettin merked cuzzz

• joethorntonisclutch - Mar 14, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Uhhh… did that have anything to do with hockey? I mean, you didn’t even spell “Jagr” right. Why are you gambling 5k at a time if you can’t even spell? Shouldn’t you try using that money to go back to school?

2. broadstbully33 - Mar 14, 2012 at 5:07 PM

^^^^douche

• lsxphotog - Mar 14, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Hahahaha, best response ever.

3. govtminion - Mar 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM

You know… yeah. Yeah, I think I’d agree with Jagr being a good choice. He’s had a hell of a season, all things considered, and even Flyers fans have to be pretty shocked by what he’s accomplished (I know I sure am!). So sure, Jagr for the Masterton. I’m in.

4. num1eaglesfanyo - Mar 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM

modellforprez your mom owes me money so let’s call it even with Jagr k? cool

5. sportsfreak13 - Mar 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Philadelphia is where ex pens go after the are finished wiining their Stanley cups.

• flyersgoalscoredby88 - Mar 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Pittsburgh’s arena is where fans don’t go after the team’s star player retires.

• sportsfreak13 - Mar 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM

thats why we currently have 246 cosective sell outs and about 80 of those without Crosby. Try again. Hows prongrs contract? Not going anywhere, like your team.

• obamablowz - Mar 15, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Sportsfreak, I think you missed the point from flyers88.

• vismund11 - Mar 15, 2012 at 7:38 PM

That’s why Max Talbot is having a new career high year with the Flyers. The player that scored the only two goals in game seven of Pittsburgh’s cup. Yeah, he’s doing terrible in the Orange and Black.

• sportsfreak13 - Mar 15, 2012 at 10:36 PM

regular season has nothing to do with winning the cup. Talbot is doing great, props. Wtf (why the flyers)

6. hartsy19 - Mar 15, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Nobody better on the Flyers to receive the Masterton than Jags. Not even myself.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D