Mar 14, 2012, 10:20 PM EST
At some point the Phoenix Coyotes’ ownership situation will stop being, as NHL commissioner Gary Bettman calls it, “a work in progress,” but that day has not come yet. Bettman met with members of the media on Wednesday and the subject of the Coyotes naturally came up.
“There’s still a number of groups that are engaged in the process, and we’re still in close contact with the city,” Bettman said. “At some point, we may have to [turn the page]. I’m hoping not to get to that point, and I’m not setting a deadline for it.”
No, we didn’t just copy and paste that from a Bettman statement taken months ago, but for the sake of comparison, here is what he said back in January:
“Nothing imminent, but it’s still being worked on. It’s still a work in progress and there’s no significant development that I’m in position to report,” Bettman said. He also added, “Our goal is to bring it to a conclusion in Phoenix. If, in fact, we don’t have an alternative, we’ll deal with it. But we’re not at that point.”
To be fair, we don’t expect Bettman to reveal any information that might hurt the Coyotes’ chances of finding an owner. For example, if Bettman were to name a date that the Coyotes need an owner by, that could just complicate the process.
Maybe there is progress being made. Every now and the Coyotes have gotten a ray of hope, but they have often proven to be optimistic with the benefit of hindsight. For now, if there’s progress being made, it’s largely happening behind closed doors.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)