Mar 14, 2012, 11:01 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalance and Buffalo Sabres both need every point they can get to stay alive in their respective conferences. It therefore seems appropriate that this game went all the way to a shootout after a tying goal with mere seconds left in the third period.
Neither team ever gained more than a one-goal lead in Colorado’s 5-4 shootout victory. The Avalanche did outshoot their opponent 42-24, but the Sabres made the most of their opportunities. Buffalo’s Drew Stafford netted an unassisted shorthanded goal in the first period while Marcus Foligno found the back of the net twice. Defenseman Alexander Sulzer scored just his second career NHL goal in 80 games.
Calder Trophy contender Gabriel Landeskog answered for Colorado with his 20th goal and 26th assist of the season. However, it was Jamie McGinn that was the hero tonight. After netting the Avalanche’s first goal at 8:55 of the first period, McGinn extended the game by scoring the tying goal in the dying moments of the third period. You check out the highlights below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Semyon Varlamov allowed four goals on 24 shots through the overtime period, but he has been excellent in the shootout this season. He turned aside all three of the Sabres’ attempts to improve to 8-0 in 2011-12 shootouts.
Buffalo can take some comfort in knowing that they ended up with one point, even though they were so close to walking away with two. They are now three points behind the eighth place Washington Capitals, but Buffalo has played in one extra game. The Sabres will now head to Florida for games against the Panthers on Saturday and the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday.
Colorado now has 80 points in 72 games, which keeps them in the pack as five teams’ battle for the seventh and eighth seeds in the Western Conference. The Avalanche won’t have any time to savor this victory as they need to head to New Jersey for Thursday’s game against the Devils.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)