Mar 13, 2012, 8:01 PM EDT
Just about any NHL fan base could probably be guilty of imagining how much of an impact pending unrestricted free agent Zach Parise could make on their team’s lineup.
Still, some likely have a little more reason to dream big – and Minnesota Wild fans are in that group.
As SBN Minnesota’s Bryan Reynolds points out, Parise is a Minnesota native and his father (and former NHL player) J.P. Parise said that he expects him to live in the State of Hockey after he retires.
Parise’s dad said that “fun” and other factors are important – not just money. Reynolds breaks down why the Wild would clamor to add him (and why they might fall short of certain standards, particularly fun).
No one at Hockey Wilderness put very high odds on either player coming to Minnesota, and no one was willing to say there was better than a one in three chance Parise suits up in Iron Range Red.
Still, Parise seems to be the main target. Suter might provide the stability the Wild blue line needs, but Parise is the ticket selling signing. Parise adds the scoring touch the Wild haven’t had since the departure of Marian Gaborik. Parise would put the fans in the seats, and then provide the excitement to get them right back out of them. And… he’s a good Minnesota boy. The Wild’s Joe Mauer.
There’s only one problem. The money is there. The winning and fun are not.
Parise could be the Wild’s Joe Mauer? I demand his appearance in cheesy dandruff control shampoo commercials, then.
(H/T to Puck Daddy.)
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 18
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 6
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)