Mar 13, 2012, 8:01 PM EDT
Just about any NHL fan base could probably be guilty of imagining how much of an impact pending unrestricted free agent Zach Parise could make on their team’s lineup.
Still, some likely have a little more reason to dream big – and Minnesota Wild fans are in that group.
As SBN Minnesota’s Bryan Reynolds points out, Parise is a Minnesota native and his father (and former NHL player) J.P. Parise said that he expects him to live in the State of Hockey after he retires.
Parise’s dad said that “fun” and other factors are important – not just money. Reynolds breaks down why the Wild would clamor to add him (and why they might fall short of certain standards, particularly fun).
No one at Hockey Wilderness put very high odds on either player coming to Minnesota, and no one was willing to say there was better than a one in three chance Parise suits up in Iron Range Red.
Still, Parise seems to be the main target. Suter might provide the stability the Wild blue line needs, but Parise is the ticket selling signing. Parise adds the scoring touch the Wild haven’t had since the departure of Marian Gaborik. Parise would put the fans in the seats, and then provide the excitement to get them right back out of them. And… he’s a good Minnesota boy. The Wild’s Joe Mauer.
There’s only one problem. The money is there. The winning and fun are not.
Parise could be the Wild’s Joe Mauer? I demand his appearance in cheesy dandruff control shampoo commercials, then.
(H/T to Puck Daddy.)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54