Mar 13, 2012, 8:01 PM EST
Just about any NHL fan base could probably be guilty of imagining how much of an impact pending unrestricted free agent Zach Parise could make on their team’s lineup.
Still, some likely have a little more reason to dream big – and Minnesota Wild fans are in that group.
As SBN Minnesota’s Bryan Reynolds points out, Parise is a Minnesota native and his father (and former NHL player) J.P. Parise said that he expects him to live in the State of Hockey after he retires.
Parise’s dad said that “fun” and other factors are important – not just money. Reynolds breaks down why the Wild would clamor to add him (and why they might fall short of certain standards, particularly fun).
No one at Hockey Wilderness put very high odds on either player coming to Minnesota, and no one was willing to say there was better than a one in three chance Parise suits up in Iron Range Red.
Still, Parise seems to be the main target. Suter might provide the stability the Wild blue line needs, but Parise is the ticket selling signing. Parise adds the scoring touch the Wild haven’t had since the departure of Marian Gaborik. Parise would put the fans in the seats, and then provide the excitement to get them right back out of them. And… he’s a good Minnesota boy. The Wild’s Joe Mauer.
There’s only one problem. The money is there. The winning and fun are not.
Parise could be the Wild’s Joe Mauer? I demand his appearance in cheesy dandruff control shampoo commercials, then.
(H/T to Puck Daddy.)
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 5
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 5
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 33
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 46
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (46)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)