Mar 13, 2012, 3:10 PM EST
Marty Turco allowed two goals on 22 shots in relief of Tim Thomas on Sunday, but also made some pretty impressive saves.
It was enough to convince Bruins coach Claude Julien that it would be safe to give Tim Thomas a game off.
“It’s time for him to come in and help us out,” said Julien of Turco. “We saw from the last game that he was in pretty decent form. I liked his competitiveness and everything else. He’s got to step us for tonight and help us win a hockey game. What we need here is a little bit of urgency — not panic, but urgency — and try to get some wins.”
This will be Turco’s first NHL start in more than a year. Turco is 36 years old, but he will probably be able to extend his NHL career if he’s solid for the Bruins during the final weeks of the season.
As a team, Boston has lost four of their last six games and the Ottawa Senators are threatening to surpass them in the Northeast Division. The Bruins could definitely use a win against Tampa Bay on Tuesday to stop the bleeding before the situation becomes much more problematic.
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 40
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 5
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 16
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 56
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (56)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (40)