Mar 13, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
Marty Turco allowed two goals on 22 shots in relief of Tim Thomas on Sunday, but also made some pretty impressive saves.
It was enough to convince Bruins coach Claude Julien that it would be safe to give Tim Thomas a game off.
“It’s time for him to come in and help us out,” said Julien of Turco. “We saw from the last game that he was in pretty decent form. I liked his competitiveness and everything else. He’s got to step us for tonight and help us win a hockey game. What we need here is a little bit of urgency — not panic, but urgency — and try to get some wins.”
This will be Turco’s first NHL start in more than a year. Turco is 36 years old, but he will probably be able to extend his NHL career if he’s solid for the Bruins during the final weeks of the season.
As a team, Boston has lost four of their last six games and the Ottawa Senators are threatening to surpass them in the Northeast Division. The Bruins could definitely use a win against Tampa Bay on Tuesday to stop the bleeding before the situation becomes much more problematic.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)