Mar 13, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
Marty Turco allowed two goals on 22 shots in relief of Tim Thomas on Sunday, but also made some pretty impressive saves.
It was enough to convince Bruins coach Claude Julien that it would be safe to give Tim Thomas a game off.
“It’s time for him to come in and help us out,” said Julien of Turco. “We saw from the last game that he was in pretty decent form. I liked his competitiveness and everything else. He’s got to step us for tonight and help us win a hockey game. What we need here is a little bit of urgency — not panic, but urgency — and try to get some wins.”
This will be Turco’s first NHL start in more than a year. Turco is 36 years old, but he will probably be able to extend his NHL career if he’s solid for the Bruins during the final weeks of the season.
As a team, Boston has lost four of their last six games and the Ottawa Senators are threatening to surpass them in the Northeast Division. The Bruins could definitely use a win against Tampa Bay on Tuesday to stop the bleeding before the situation becomes much more problematic.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 15
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 19
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)