Mar 13, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
Marty Turco allowed two goals on 22 shots in relief of Tim Thomas on Sunday, but also made some pretty impressive saves.
It was enough to convince Bruins coach Claude Julien that it would be safe to give Tim Thomas a game off.
“It’s time for him to come in and help us out,” said Julien of Turco. “We saw from the last game that he was in pretty decent form. I liked his competitiveness and everything else. He’s got to step us for tonight and help us win a hockey game. What we need here is a little bit of urgency — not panic, but urgency — and try to get some wins.”
This will be Turco’s first NHL start in more than a year. Turco is 36 years old, but he will probably be able to extend his NHL career if he’s solid for the Bruins during the final weeks of the season.
As a team, Boston has lost four of their last six games and the Ottawa Senators are threatening to surpass them in the Northeast Division. The Bruins could definitely use a win against Tampa Bay on Tuesday to stop the bleeding before the situation becomes much more problematic.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 16
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)