Mar 13, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
Marty Turco allowed two goals on 22 shots in relief of Tim Thomas on Sunday, but also made some pretty impressive saves.
It was enough to convince Bruins coach Claude Julien that it would be safe to give Tim Thomas a game off.
“It’s time for him to come in and help us out,” said Julien of Turco. “We saw from the last game that he was in pretty decent form. I liked his competitiveness and everything else. He’s got to step us for tonight and help us win a hockey game. What we need here is a little bit of urgency — not panic, but urgency — and try to get some wins.”
This will be Turco’s first NHL start in more than a year. Turco is 36 years old, but he will probably be able to extend his NHL career if he’s solid for the Bruins during the final weeks of the season.
As a team, Boston has lost four of their last six games and the Ottawa Senators are threatening to surpass them in the Northeast Division. The Bruins could definitely use a win against Tampa Bay on Tuesday to stop the bleeding before the situation becomes much more problematic.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)