Mar 13, 2012, 11:53 AM EDT
Each of the last two seasons Alexander Semin has gotten a contract extension out of the blue with the Capitals. With this season not being a glowing one by Capitals standards and Semin having his issues now and again, some are curious whether or not he’ll be back in Washington next season.
To help amp up the potential hysteria, Tarik El-Bashir of The Washington Post tells us that Semin’s agent and Caps GM George McPhee haven’t spoken about a new deal yet.
Semin has played well recently playing strong games against both the Lightning and Bruins, but his season overall has been a frustrating one for just about everyone involved. With 18 goals and 44 points, Semin is second on the Caps in scoring but his 52 penalty minutes are third on the team behind tougher guys like Matt Hendricks and Troy Brouwer. Semin’s penchant for taking ill-timed penalties has helped pile on the ill-feelings this season.
Without the signs of a new deal coming, it’s making folks in D.C. wonder if perhaps this is his final season there. No one has looked good in Washington this season and judging Semin based on this season is harsh to do. When things have been good for the Caps, he’s been a great complementary piece.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)