Mar 13, 2012, 11:53 AM EST
Each of the last two seasons Alexander Semin has gotten a contract extension out of the blue with the Capitals. With this season not being a glowing one by Capitals standards and Semin having his issues now and again, some are curious whether or not he’ll be back in Washington next season.
To help amp up the potential hysteria, Tarik El-Bashir of The Washington Post tells us that Semin’s agent and Caps GM George McPhee haven’t spoken about a new deal yet.
Semin has played well recently playing strong games against both the Lightning and Bruins, but his season overall has been a frustrating one for just about everyone involved. With 18 goals and 44 points, Semin is second on the Caps in scoring but his 52 penalty minutes are third on the team behind tougher guys like Matt Hendricks and Troy Brouwer. Semin’s penchant for taking ill-timed penalties has helped pile on the ill-feelings this season.
Without the signs of a new deal coming, it’s making folks in D.C. wonder if perhaps this is his final season there. No one has looked good in Washington this season and judging Semin based on this season is harsh to do. When things have been good for the Caps, he’s been a great complementary piece.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 29
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 63
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)