Mar 13, 2012, 11:53 AM EST
Each of the last two seasons Alexander Semin has gotten a contract extension out of the blue with the Capitals. With this season not being a glowing one by Capitals standards and Semin having his issues now and again, some are curious whether or not he’ll be back in Washington next season.
To help amp up the potential hysteria, Tarik El-Bashir of The Washington Post tells us that Semin’s agent and Caps GM George McPhee haven’t spoken about a new deal yet.
Semin has played well recently playing strong games against both the Lightning and Bruins, but his season overall has been a frustrating one for just about everyone involved. With 18 goals and 44 points, Semin is second on the Caps in scoring but his 52 penalty minutes are third on the team behind tougher guys like Matt Hendricks and Troy Brouwer. Semin’s penchant for taking ill-timed penalties has helped pile on the ill-feelings this season.
Without the signs of a new deal coming, it’s making folks in D.C. wonder if perhaps this is his final season there. No one has looked good in Washington this season and judging Semin based on this season is harsh to do. When things have been good for the Caps, he’s been a great complementary piece.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)