Mar 13, 2012, 11:53 AM EDT
Each of the last two seasons Alexander Semin has gotten a contract extension out of the blue with the Capitals. With this season not being a glowing one by Capitals standards and Semin having his issues now and again, some are curious whether or not he’ll be back in Washington next season.
To help amp up the potential hysteria, Tarik El-Bashir of The Washington Post tells us that Semin’s agent and Caps GM George McPhee haven’t spoken about a new deal yet.
Semin has played well recently playing strong games against both the Lightning and Bruins, but his season overall has been a frustrating one for just about everyone involved. With 18 goals and 44 points, Semin is second on the Caps in scoring but his 52 penalty minutes are third on the team behind tougher guys like Matt Hendricks and Troy Brouwer. Semin’s penchant for taking ill-timed penalties has helped pile on the ill-feelings this season.
Without the signs of a new deal coming, it’s making folks in D.C. wonder if perhaps this is his final season there. No one has looked good in Washington this season and judging Semin based on this season is harsh to do. When things have been good for the Caps, he’s been a great complementary piece.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)