Mar 13, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
Sean Avery has forever been a player to do things his own way. After being sent down to the AHL and banished to stay there by the New York Rangers, Avery picked up a gig on Bravo TV discussing his hobby, fashion.
Last night he actually talked a little bit of hockey on “The Dish” and it wasn’t to critique uniforms. He announced his retirement from the game.
Check out the video from NBC’s more artistic cousin network, Bravo.
It wouldn’t be Avery without making a bold statement in saying his playing days were over as he told the panel, “I am officially retired. I threw my skates in the Hudson.”
Being the cynics that we are as fans, you had to wonder if Avery was pulling everyone’s leg. Larry Brooks of the New York Post confirmed with Avery that he is indeed done after his contract runs out at the end of the year.
“No, that wasn’t a joke; yes I’m retiring at the end of the season, and it’s OK.
“I guess that was my retirement press conference.”
Now that Avery is slated to become a fashion guru and marketer, he tells Brooks that he couldn’t be happier.
“Eleven years of relationships led me to this point,” he said. “It’s all I could ask for. And it’s the right time.”
Of course, Avery’s agent Pat Morris tells Mark Spector of Sportsnet that his client hasn’t retired from hockey. Like it would be any other way than controversial? Never imitated, never duplicated, and often agitated Sean Avery can at least say he went out of hockey doing it his way.
What a short, strange trip it’s been.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)