Mar 13, 2012, 1:43 PM EST
Sean Avery has forever been a player to do things his own way. After being sent down to the AHL and banished to stay there by the New York Rangers, Avery picked up a gig on Bravo TV discussing his hobby, fashion.
Last night he actually talked a little bit of hockey on “The Dish” and it wasn’t to critique uniforms. He announced his retirement from the game.
Check out the video from NBC’s more artistic cousin network, Bravo.
It wouldn’t be Avery without making a bold statement in saying his playing days were over as he told the panel, “I am officially retired. I threw my skates in the Hudson.”
Being the cynics that we are as fans, you had to wonder if Avery was pulling everyone’s leg. Larry Brooks of the New York Post confirmed with Avery that he is indeed done after his contract runs out at the end of the year.
“No, that wasn’t a joke; yes I’m retiring at the end of the season, and it’s OK.
“I guess that was my retirement press conference.”
Now that Avery is slated to become a fashion guru and marketer, he tells Brooks that he couldn’t be happier.
“Eleven years of relationships led me to this point,” he said. “It’s all I could ask for. And it’s the right time.”
Of course, Avery’s agent Pat Morris tells Mark Spector of Sportsnet that his client hasn’t retired from hockey. Like it would be any other way than controversial? Never imitated, never duplicated, and often agitated Sean Avery can at least say he went out of hockey doing it his way.
What a short, strange trip it’s been.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)