Mar 13, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
Sean Avery has forever been a player to do things his own way. After being sent down to the AHL and banished to stay there by the New York Rangers, Avery picked up a gig on Bravo TV discussing his hobby, fashion.
Last night he actually talked a little bit of hockey on “The Dish” and it wasn’t to critique uniforms. He announced his retirement from the game.
Check out the video from NBC’s more artistic cousin network, Bravo.
It wouldn’t be Avery without making a bold statement in saying his playing days were over as he told the panel, “I am officially retired. I threw my skates in the Hudson.”
Being the cynics that we are as fans, you had to wonder if Avery was pulling everyone’s leg. Larry Brooks of the New York Post confirmed with Avery that he is indeed done after his contract runs out at the end of the year.
“No, that wasn’t a joke; yes I’m retiring at the end of the season, and it’s OK.
“I guess that was my retirement press conference.”
Now that Avery is slated to become a fashion guru and marketer, he tells Brooks that he couldn’t be happier.
“Eleven years of relationships led me to this point,” he said. “It’s all I could ask for. And it’s the right time.”
Of course, Avery’s agent Pat Morris tells Mark Spector of Sportsnet that his client hasn’t retired from hockey. Like it would be any other way than controversial? Never imitated, never duplicated, and often agitated Sean Avery can at least say he went out of hockey doing it his way.
What a short, strange trip it’s been.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 18
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)