Mar 13, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
Sean Avery has forever been a player to do things his own way. After being sent down to the AHL and banished to stay there by the New York Rangers, Avery picked up a gig on Bravo TV discussing his hobby, fashion.
Last night he actually talked a little bit of hockey on “The Dish” and it wasn’t to critique uniforms. He announced his retirement from the game.
Check out the video from NBC’s more artistic cousin network, Bravo.
It wouldn’t be Avery without making a bold statement in saying his playing days were over as he told the panel, “I am officially retired. I threw my skates in the Hudson.”
Being the cynics that we are as fans, you had to wonder if Avery was pulling everyone’s leg. Larry Brooks of the New York Post confirmed with Avery that he is indeed done after his contract runs out at the end of the year.
“No, that wasn’t a joke; yes I’m retiring at the end of the season, and it’s OK.
“I guess that was my retirement press conference.”
Now that Avery is slated to become a fashion guru and marketer, he tells Brooks that he couldn’t be happier.
“Eleven years of relationships led me to this point,” he said. “It’s all I could ask for. And it’s the right time.”
Of course, Avery’s agent Pat Morris tells Mark Spector of Sportsnet that his client hasn’t retired from hockey. Like it would be any other way than controversial? Never imitated, never duplicated, and often agitated Sean Avery can at least say he went out of hockey doing it his way.
What a short, strange trip it’s been.
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 6
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 18
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 125
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (125)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)