Mar 13, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
The New York Rangers likely stemmed some of the stress tide by winning a sneaky-challenging 4-2 game against the Carolina Hurricanes tonight, but nothing they could do will negate the hype going into Thursday’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Obviously, it’ll all be about Sidney Crosby, with maybe a dollop of interesting in the Atlantic Division title ramifications.
The Penguins would be wise to note the star power of their opponents, though – and not just all-world goalie Henrik Lundqvist. As the following video shows, the Rangers have recently been powered by the talented line of super playmaker Brad Richards, elite sniper Marian Gaborik and up-and-coming speedster Carl Hagelin.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Going further, Richards went a little deeper on his personal recent success, particularly his eagerness to put a few more pucks on net than he once was doing.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
As fantastic as this Rangers team has been, it seems like the more defense-heavy teams are a bit difficult to gauge in the scheme of the Stanley Cup race. (See also: the St. Louis Blues.) Games like Thursday’s should act as a solid test even if it remains a small sample, but don’t assume that the only stars will be rolling for Pittsburgh.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 19
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 83
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)