Mar 13, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
The New York Rangers likely stemmed some of the stress tide by winning a sneaky-challenging 4-2 game against the Carolina Hurricanes tonight, but nothing they could do will negate the hype going into Thursday’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Obviously, it’ll all be about Sidney Crosby, with maybe a dollop of interesting in the Atlantic Division title ramifications.
The Penguins would be wise to note the star power of their opponents, though – and not just all-world goalie Henrik Lundqvist. As the following video shows, the Rangers have recently been powered by the talented line of super playmaker Brad Richards, elite sniper Marian Gaborik and up-and-coming speedster Carl Hagelin.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Going further, Richards went a little deeper on his personal recent success, particularly his eagerness to put a few more pucks on net than he once was doing.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
As fantastic as this Rangers team has been, it seems like the more defense-heavy teams are a bit difficult to gauge in the scheme of the Stanley Cup race. (See also: the St. Louis Blues.) Games like Thursday’s should act as a solid test even if it remains a small sample, but don’t assume that the only stars will be rolling for Pittsburgh.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 0
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 8
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 15
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 21
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)