Mar 13, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
The New York Rangers likely stemmed some of the stress tide by winning a sneaky-challenging 4-2 game against the Carolina Hurricanes tonight, but nothing they could do will negate the hype going into Thursday’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Obviously, it’ll all be about Sidney Crosby, with maybe a dollop of interesting in the Atlantic Division title ramifications.
The Penguins would be wise to note the star power of their opponents, though – and not just all-world goalie Henrik Lundqvist. As the following video shows, the Rangers have recently been powered by the talented line of super playmaker Brad Richards, elite sniper Marian Gaborik and up-and-coming speedster Carl Hagelin.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Going further, Richards went a little deeper on his personal recent success, particularly his eagerness to put a few more pucks on net than he once was doing.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
As fantastic as this Rangers team has been, it seems like the more defense-heavy teams are a bit difficult to gauge in the scheme of the Stanley Cup race. (See also: the St. Louis Blues.) Games like Thursday’s should act as a solid test even if it remains a small sample, but don’t assume that the only stars will be rolling for Pittsburgh.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)