Mar 13, 2012, 11:24 PM EST
The New York Rangers likely stemmed some of the stress tide by winning a sneaky-challenging 4-2 game against the Carolina Hurricanes tonight, but nothing they could do will negate the hype going into Thursday’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Obviously, it’ll all be about Sidney Crosby, with maybe a dollop of interesting in the Atlantic Division title ramifications.
The Penguins would be wise to note the star power of their opponents, though – and not just all-world goalie Henrik Lundqvist. As the following video shows, the Rangers have recently been powered by the talented line of super playmaker Brad Richards, elite sniper Marian Gaborik and up-and-coming speedster Carl Hagelin.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Going further, Richards went a little deeper on his personal recent success, particularly his eagerness to put a few more pucks on net than he once was doing.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
As fantastic as this Rangers team has been, it seems like the more defense-heavy teams are a bit difficult to gauge in the scheme of the Stanley Cup race. (See also: the St. Louis Blues.) Games like Thursday’s should act as a solid test even if it remains a small sample, but don’t assume that the only stars will be rolling for Pittsburgh.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 68
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 51
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 54
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 73
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)