Mar 13, 2012, 9:33 PM EST
Sure it’s been a bumpy ride, but Ilya Bryzgalov is starting to make the Philadelphia Flyers’ wild off-season of changes look crazy-brilliant – just like him. The Russian netminder is hotter than a Husky* right now, as he stopped all 17 New Jersey Devils shots for his third consecutive shutout.
(The Philadelphia Flyers won 3-0, pushing their season points total to 87.)
Bryzgalov stopped all 74 shots in the last three contests and 145 out of 147 in his five most recent appearances. His individual stats are still fairly pedestrian overall aside from his six shutouts (.908 save percentage, 2.53 GAA) but his record is pretty impressive at 28-13-6.
Those three games are the peak, but his hot streak extends beyond numbers that might have him flirting with goose egg history soon. Breezy’s won five games in a row, has four shutouts in his last five games and is generally making us all eat a lot of crow.
Sure, Philly fans won’t care if his tiger blood runs out in the playoffs, but it’s a scorching-hot run. Can he keep it up, though?
Enjoy the highlights of his latest shutout – as uneventful as it was at times – in the video below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
* – Sorry.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 12
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 49
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 55
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (56)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)