Mar 13, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
Sure it’s been a bumpy ride, but Ilya Bryzgalov is starting to make the Philadelphia Flyers’ wild off-season of changes look crazy-brilliant – just like him. The Russian netminder is hotter than a Husky* right now, as he stopped all 17 New Jersey Devils shots for his third consecutive shutout.
(The Philadelphia Flyers won 3-0, pushing their season points total to 87.)
Bryzgalov stopped all 74 shots in the last three contests and 145 out of 147 in his five most recent appearances. His individual stats are still fairly pedestrian overall aside from his six shutouts (.908 save percentage, 2.53 GAA) but his record is pretty impressive at 28-13-6.
Those three games are the peak, but his hot streak extends beyond numbers that might have him flirting with goose egg history soon. Breezy’s won five games in a row, has four shutouts in his last five games and is generally making us all eat a lot of crow.
Sure, Philly fans won’t care if his tiger blood runs out in the playoffs, but it’s a scorching-hot run. Can he keep it up, though?
Enjoy the highlights of his latest shutout – as uneventful as it was at times – in the video below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
* – Sorry.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 4
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50