Mar 13, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
Sure it’s been a bumpy ride, but Ilya Bryzgalov is starting to make the Philadelphia Flyers’ wild off-season of changes look crazy-brilliant – just like him. The Russian netminder is hotter than a Husky* right now, as he stopped all 17 New Jersey Devils shots for his third consecutive shutout.
(The Philadelphia Flyers won 3-0, pushing their season points total to 87.)
Bryzgalov stopped all 74 shots in the last three contests and 145 out of 147 in his five most recent appearances. His individual stats are still fairly pedestrian overall aside from his six shutouts (.908 save percentage, 2.53 GAA) but his record is pretty impressive at 28-13-6.
Those three games are the peak, but his hot streak extends beyond numbers that might have him flirting with goose egg history soon. Breezy’s won five games in a row, has four shutouts in his last five games and is generally making us all eat a lot of crow.
Sure, Philly fans won’t care if his tiger blood runs out in the playoffs, but it’s a scorching-hot run. Can he keep it up, though?
Enjoy the highlights of his latest shutout – as uneventful as it was at times – in the video below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
* – Sorry.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)