Mar 13, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
Sure it’s been a bumpy ride, but Ilya Bryzgalov is starting to make the Philadelphia Flyers’ wild off-season of changes look crazy-brilliant – just like him. The Russian netminder is hotter than a Husky* right now, as he stopped all 17 New Jersey Devils shots for his third consecutive shutout.
(The Philadelphia Flyers won 3-0, pushing their season points total to 87.)
Bryzgalov stopped all 74 shots in the last three contests and 145 out of 147 in his five most recent appearances. His individual stats are still fairly pedestrian overall aside from his six shutouts (.908 save percentage, 2.53 GAA) but his record is pretty impressive at 28-13-6.
Those three games are the peak, but his hot streak extends beyond numbers that might have him flirting with goose egg history soon. Breezy’s won five games in a row, has four shutouts in his last five games and is generally making us all eat a lot of crow.
Sure, Philly fans won’t care if his tiger blood runs out in the playoffs, but it’s a scorching-hot run. Can he keep it up, though?
Enjoy the highlights of his latest shutout – as uneventful as it was at times – in the video below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
* – Sorry.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 25
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 6
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 14
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (25)