Mar 13, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Time to fire up the hype machine: “The Kid” is going to play.
The Penguins announced after practice this afternoon that Sidney Crosby will rejoin the Pittsburgh lineup Thursday night against the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN). Crosby has been out since December 5 after suffering another concussion against the Bruins.
Crosby’s first comeback this season saw him play in just eight games before being knocked out of action, but in that time he scored two goals and added 10 assists including a dazzling display against the Islanders in his first game back notching two goals and two assists.
Crosby’s return to the Penguins lineup obviously means big things for Pittsburgh as they’ll have a healthy trio of Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Jordan Staal to work with, a rarity over the past two seasons. Now it’ll be up to coach Dan Bylsma to figure out how to set his lines with the league’s top talent returning to action. There’s tougher jobs out there I suppose.
With the Penguins in the middle of a nine-game win streak, having Crosby rejoin them for a game on Broadway against the Eastern Conference’s No. 1 team certainly sets quite the stage for Thursday night.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 21
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 11
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54