Mar 13, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
Time to fire up the hype machine: “The Kid” is going to play.
The Penguins announced after practice this afternoon that Sidney Crosby will rejoin the Pittsburgh lineup Thursday night against the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN). Crosby has been out since December 5 after suffering another concussion against the Bruins.
Crosby’s first comeback this season saw him play in just eight games before being knocked out of action, but in that time he scored two goals and added 10 assists including a dazzling display against the Islanders in his first game back notching two goals and two assists.
Crosby’s return to the Penguins lineup obviously means big things for Pittsburgh as they’ll have a healthy trio of Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Jordan Staal to work with, a rarity over the past two seasons. Now it’ll be up to coach Dan Bylsma to figure out how to set his lines with the league’s top talent returning to action. There’s tougher jobs out there I suppose.
With the Penguins in the middle of a nine-game win streak, having Crosby rejoin them for a game on Broadway against the Eastern Conference’s No. 1 team certainly sets quite the stage for Thursday night.
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 0
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans': Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans': Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)