Mar 13, 2012, 9:55 PM EST
You’ve heard the cliche before: “hockey is a game of bounces.” Rarely is that statement revealed as the honest-truth quite like this wacky goal allowed by Michal Neuvirth.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
John Tavares ended up getting a gimme stat on that one, but he “earned” another tally and assist to show that it wasn’t just a night of flukes. (Tavares also found the net in the skills competition, by the way.)
That wacky goal seemed like it would tell the story of a disastrous missed opportunity once the score was 3-0 and 4-1, but give credit to the Washington Capitals, who redeemed their goalie by earning a 5-4 shootout comeback win.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That triumph gave the Capitals four wins in a row and a temporary hold on the top spot in the Southeast Division – along with the third seed that would come with it. The Florida Panthers jumped right back into first place in the division with a 5-2 win against the Toronto Maple Leafs, but either way, things certainly look better for Washington now than they did when they were down 3-0 and 4-1.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Perhaps this is the type of win Washington can build something special upon, but Neuvirth will likely just be happy to be able to laugh – a bit – at that bizarre goal.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 20
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 33
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 29
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 48
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 16
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)