Mar 13, 2012, 9:55 PM EDT
You’ve heard the cliche before: “hockey is a game of bounces.” Rarely is that statement revealed as the honest-truth quite like this wacky goal allowed by Michal Neuvirth.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
John Tavares ended up getting a gimme stat on that one, but he “earned” another tally and assist to show that it wasn’t just a night of flukes. (Tavares also found the net in the skills competition, by the way.)
That wacky goal seemed like it would tell the story of a disastrous missed opportunity once the score was 3-0 and 4-1, but give credit to the Washington Capitals, who redeemed their goalie by earning a 5-4 shootout comeback win.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That triumph gave the Capitals four wins in a row and a temporary hold on the top spot in the Southeast Division – along with the third seed that would come with it. The Florida Panthers jumped right back into first place in the division with a 5-2 win against the Toronto Maple Leafs, but either way, things certainly look better for Washington now than they did when they were down 3-0 and 4-1.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Perhaps this is the type of win Washington can build something special upon, but Neuvirth will likely just be happy to be able to laugh – a bit – at that bizarre goal.
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (62)