Mar 13, 2012, 9:19 PM EDT
Not a whole lot has gone right for the Montreal Canadiens this season, yet one story shines as an undeniable inspiration. The Habs decided to name Max Pacioretty as their candidate for the 2012 Bill Masterton Trophy.
In case you’re unfamiliar, the trophy is awarded to the player “who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.” Pacioretty has had his run-ins with Brendan Shanahan’s disciplinary committee this season so maybe the sportsmanship part might not be his strong suit, but the other two factors have been on full display.
(To be fair regarding the Kris Letang hit, Pacioretty showed class in immediately apologizing for the check.)
After withstanding an incredibly unlucky hit from Zdeno Chara last season, many would find it hard to believe that Pacioretty would bounce back to score 30 goals and 27 assists for 57 points this season. In fact, some wondered if he’d ever play (or even walk) again.
(Mark Recchi wasn’t in that club.)
His season’s certainly been an example of perseverance, so the Habs probably didn’t need to deliberate the choice for very long. Who are some other players from other teams who come to mind as good candidates for the award, though?
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 0
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 19
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)