Mar 13, 2012, 9:19 PM EST
Not a whole lot has gone right for the Montreal Canadiens this season, yet one story shines as an undeniable inspiration. The Habs decided to name Max Pacioretty as their candidate for the 2012 Bill Masterton Trophy.
In case you’re unfamiliar, the trophy is awarded to the player “who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.” Pacioretty has had his run-ins with Brendan Shanahan’s disciplinary committee this season so maybe the sportsmanship part might not be his strong suit, but the other two factors have been on full display.
(To be fair regarding the Kris Letang hit, Pacioretty showed class in immediately apologizing for the check.)
After withstanding an incredibly unlucky hit from Zdeno Chara last season, many would find it hard to believe that Pacioretty would bounce back to score 30 goals and 27 assists for 57 points this season. In fact, some wondered if he’d ever play (or even walk) again.
(Mark Recchi wasn’t in that club.)
His season’s certainly been an example of perseverance, so the Habs probably didn’t need to deliberate the choice for very long. Who are some other players from other teams who come to mind as good candidates for the award, though?
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 1
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 56
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)