Mar 12, 2012, 12:40 PM EST
Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News hears from Vanek about the hit he took and just how bad it shook him up.
“I didn’t see him coming until I was laying on the ice,” Vanek said. “It’s part of the game, part of hockey. It happens and I’ve got to have my head up. It was a good hockey hit. I saw the replay and I just had my head down.”
Guys taking responsibility for getting lit up by big hits is a refreshing turn of events. We heard it from Jakub Voracek after he was crushed by Niklas Kronwall and now from Vanek. Hey, maybe the speed in the game isn’t such a big problem after all.
Vanek’s absence against Ottawa didn’t hurt the Sabres as they were able to knock off the Senators in a shootout. With him back in the lineup, the Sabres will hope that Vanek and linemates Derek Roy and Jason Pominville can find their scoring touch again.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 60
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (87)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (79)