Mar 12, 2012, 12:40 PM EDT
Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News hears from Vanek about the hit he took and just how bad it shook him up.
“I didn’t see him coming until I was laying on the ice,” Vanek said. “It’s part of the game, part of hockey. It happens and I’ve got to have my head up. It was a good hockey hit. I saw the replay and I just had my head down.”
Guys taking responsibility for getting lit up by big hits is a refreshing turn of events. We heard it from Jakub Voracek after he was crushed by Niklas Kronwall and now from Vanek. Hey, maybe the speed in the game isn’t such a big problem after all.
Vanek’s absence against Ottawa didn’t hurt the Sabres as they were able to knock off the Senators in a shootout. With him back in the lineup, the Sabres will hope that Vanek and linemates Derek Roy and Jason Pominville can find their scoring touch again.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5