Mar 12, 2012, 12:40 PM EST
Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News hears from Vanek about the hit he took and just how bad it shook him up.
“I didn’t see him coming until I was laying on the ice,” Vanek said. “It’s part of the game, part of hockey. It happens and I’ve got to have my head up. It was a good hockey hit. I saw the replay and I just had my head down.”
Guys taking responsibility for getting lit up by big hits is a refreshing turn of events. We heard it from Jakub Voracek after he was crushed by Niklas Kronwall and now from Vanek. Hey, maybe the speed in the game isn’t such a big problem after all.
Vanek’s absence against Ottawa didn’t hurt the Sabres as they were able to knock off the Senators in a shootout. With him back in the lineup, the Sabres will hope that Vanek and linemates Derek Roy and Jason Pominville can find their scoring touch again.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 1
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 14
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)