Mar 12, 2012, 12:40 PM EDT
Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News hears from Vanek about the hit he took and just how bad it shook him up.
“I didn’t see him coming until I was laying on the ice,” Vanek said. “It’s part of the game, part of hockey. It happens and I’ve got to have my head up. It was a good hockey hit. I saw the replay and I just had my head down.”
Guys taking responsibility for getting lit up by big hits is a refreshing turn of events. We heard it from Jakub Voracek after he was crushed by Niklas Kronwall and now from Vanek. Hey, maybe the speed in the game isn’t such a big problem after all.
Vanek’s absence against Ottawa didn’t hurt the Sabres as they were able to knock off the Senators in a shootout. With him back in the lineup, the Sabres will hope that Vanek and linemates Derek Roy and Jason Pominville can find their scoring touch again.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)