Mar 12, 2012, 8:21 PM EDT
Although concussions have certainly made a big impact this season, the number sustained is on par with what we saw during the 2010-11 campaign.
“What I can say is we’re continually looking at all ways to bring this number down,” NHL vice president of hockey operations Kris King said. “The fact that it stabilized after a huge increase from two years ago is a positive I think.”
The NHL won’t release the exact figures, but the number of concussions jumped from 2009-10 to 2010-11. King credited the NHL with doing a good job of diagnosing concussions as part of the reason the numbers are high.
Unfortunately, there have been quite a few high profile concussion cases this season. In addition to Sidney Crosby’s long road to recovery, we’ve also seen Jonathan Toews, Claude Giroux, Jeff Skinner, Ryan Miller, Chris Pronger, and Kris Letang suffer from concussions or concussion-like symptoms at some point this season. Then of course, there’s Boston’s Marc Savard, who hasn’t played since Jan. 22, 2011.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)