Mar 12, 2012, 8:21 PM EDT
Although concussions have certainly made a big impact this season, the number sustained is on par with what we saw during the 2010-11 campaign.
“What I can say is we’re continually looking at all ways to bring this number down,” NHL vice president of hockey operations Kris King said. “The fact that it stabilized after a huge increase from two years ago is a positive I think.”
The NHL won’t release the exact figures, but the number of concussions jumped from 2009-10 to 2010-11. King credited the NHL with doing a good job of diagnosing concussions as part of the reason the numbers are high.
Unfortunately, there have been quite a few high profile concussion cases this season. In addition to Sidney Crosby’s long road to recovery, we’ve also seen Jonathan Toews, Claude Giroux, Jeff Skinner, Ryan Miller, Chris Pronger, and Kris Letang suffer from concussions or concussion-like symptoms at some point this season. Then of course, there’s Boston’s Marc Savard, who hasn’t played since Jan. 22, 2011.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)