Mar 12, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Gabriel Landeskog made his mark on the Colorado Avalanche’s record books when he recorded his 233 shot on goal of the season during Monday’s game. That’s the most shots ever recorded by a rookie in franchise history.
He also has a firm lead in that category when it comes to this season’s crop of rookies, although Matt Read began Monday with one more goal than Landeskog despite recording nearly 100 fewer shots.
Landeskog might not end up winning the Calder Trophy, but he deserves to be part of the conversation. He hasn’t been as much of an offensive force as Adam Henrique or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins – who both beat him in terms of points-per-game – but Landeskog has also been able to contribute in other ways. Henrique and Nugent-Hopkins don’t even come close to Landeskog in terms of hits and Landeskog leads all rookies in takeaways. Of course Read, who leads all rookies in goals, and Cody Hodgson, who has done a lot in limited playing time, deserve some recognition too. It should be interesting to see who comes out on top.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 8
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 62
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 47
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)