Mar 12, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
Gabriel Landeskog made his mark on the Colorado Avalanche’s record books when he recorded his 233 shot on goal of the season during Monday’s game. That’s the most shots ever recorded by a rookie in franchise history.
He also has a firm lead in that category when it comes to this season’s crop of rookies, although Matt Read began Monday with one more goal than Landeskog despite recording nearly 100 fewer shots.
Landeskog might not end up winning the Calder Trophy, but he deserves to be part of the conversation. He hasn’t been as much of an offensive force as Adam Henrique or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins – who both beat him in terms of points-per-game – but Landeskog has also been able to contribute in other ways. Henrique and Nugent-Hopkins don’t even come close to Landeskog in terms of hits and Landeskog leads all rookies in takeaways. Of course Read, who leads all rookies in goals, and Cody Hodgson, who has done a lot in limited playing time, deserve some recognition too. It should be interesting to see who comes out on top.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 33
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)