Mar 12, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
Gabriel Landeskog made his mark on the Colorado Avalanche’s record books when he recorded his 233 shot on goal of the season during Monday’s game. That’s the most shots ever recorded by a rookie in franchise history.
He also has a firm lead in that category when it comes to this season’s crop of rookies, although Matt Read began Monday with one more goal than Landeskog despite recording nearly 100 fewer shots.
Landeskog might not end up winning the Calder Trophy, but he deserves to be part of the conversation. He hasn’t been as much of an offensive force as Adam Henrique or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins – who both beat him in terms of points-per-game – but Landeskog has also been able to contribute in other ways. Henrique and Nugent-Hopkins don’t even come close to Landeskog in terms of hits and Landeskog leads all rookies in takeaways. Of course Read, who leads all rookies in goals, and Cody Hodgson, who has done a lot in limited playing time, deserve some recognition too. It should be interesting to see who comes out on top.
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 2
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 14
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 30
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 5
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 69
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 64
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 32
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)