Mar 12, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Gabriel Landeskog made his mark on the Colorado Avalanche’s record books when he recorded his 233 shot on goal of the season during Monday’s game. That’s the most shots ever recorded by a rookie in franchise history.
He also has a firm lead in that category when it comes to this season’s crop of rookies, although Matt Read began Monday with one more goal than Landeskog despite recording nearly 100 fewer shots.
Landeskog might not end up winning the Calder Trophy, but he deserves to be part of the conversation. He hasn’t been as much of an offensive force as Adam Henrique or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins – who both beat him in terms of points-per-game – but Landeskog has also been able to contribute in other ways. Henrique and Nugent-Hopkins don’t even come close to Landeskog in terms of hits and Landeskog leads all rookies in takeaways. Of course Read, who leads all rookies in goals, and Cody Hodgson, who has done a lot in limited playing time, deserve some recognition too. It should be interesting to see who comes out on top.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)