Mar 12, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Gabriel Landeskog made his mark on the Colorado Avalanche’s record books when he recorded his 233 shot on goal of the season during Monday’s game. That’s the most shots ever recorded by a rookie in franchise history.
He also has a firm lead in that category when it comes to this season’s crop of rookies, although Matt Read began Monday with one more goal than Landeskog despite recording nearly 100 fewer shots.
Landeskog might not end up winning the Calder Trophy, but he deserves to be part of the conversation. He hasn’t been as much of an offensive force as Adam Henrique or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins – who both beat him in terms of points-per-game – but Landeskog has also been able to contribute in other ways. Henrique and Nugent-Hopkins don’t even come close to Landeskog in terms of hits and Landeskog leads all rookies in takeaways. Of course Read, who leads all rookies in goals, and Cody Hodgson, who has done a lot in limited playing time, deserve some recognition too. It should be interesting to see who comes out on top.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)