Mar 12, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
Without Jimmy Howard in goal, the stress of trying to win the Central Division and finish at or near the top of the Western Conference has fallen on Joey MacDonald‘s shoulders. While MacDonald has done well filling in for Jimmy Howard, it’s time for the starter to take over again.
Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press hears it from Wings GM Ken Holland that Howard will rejoin the team for their California road trip and is over a groin injury that put him on the shelf for the last three games. With Howard being back and ready to play, Jordan Pearce was sent back to the AHL.
With the season down to the wire now, it’ll be up to Howard to help the Red Wings stay in the hunt with St. Louis. His job is made a bit harder with both Nicklas Lidstrom and Pavel Datsyuk both still out with their separate ailments. Detroit could use a pick-me-up though as they’ve lost six of their last nine games.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 22
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)