Mar 12, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
Without Jimmy Howard in goal, the stress of trying to win the Central Division and finish at or near the top of the Western Conference has fallen on Joey MacDonald‘s shoulders. While MacDonald has done well filling in for Jimmy Howard, it’s time for the starter to take over again.
Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press hears it from Wings GM Ken Holland that Howard will rejoin the team for their California road trip and is over a groin injury that put him on the shelf for the last three games. With Howard being back and ready to play, Jordan Pearce was sent back to the AHL.
With the season down to the wire now, it’ll be up to Howard to help the Red Wings stay in the hunt with St. Louis. His job is made a bit harder with both Nicklas Lidstrom and Pavel Datsyuk both still out with their separate ailments. Detroit could use a pick-me-up though as they’ve lost six of their last nine games.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)