Mar 12, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
Without Jimmy Howard in goal, the stress of trying to win the Central Division and finish at or near the top of the Western Conference has fallen on Joey MacDonald‘s shoulders. While MacDonald has done well filling in for Jimmy Howard, it’s time for the starter to take over again.
Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press hears it from Wings GM Ken Holland that Howard will rejoin the team for their California road trip and is over a groin injury that put him on the shelf for the last three games. With Howard being back and ready to play, Jordan Pearce was sent back to the AHL.
With the season down to the wire now, it’ll be up to Howard to help the Red Wings stay in the hunt with St. Louis. His job is made a bit harder with both Nicklas Lidstrom and Pavel Datsyuk both still out with their separate ailments. Detroit could use a pick-me-up though as they’ve lost six of their last nine games.
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 26
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 70
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (70)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)