Mar 12, 2012, 9:12 AM EST
Without Jimmy Howard in goal, the stress of trying to win the Central Division and finish at or near the top of the Western Conference has fallen on Joey MacDonald‘s shoulders. While MacDonald has done well filling in for Jimmy Howard, it’s time for the starter to take over again.
Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press hears it from Wings GM Ken Holland that Howard will rejoin the team for their California road trip and is over a groin injury that put him on the shelf for the last three games. With Howard being back and ready to play, Jordan Pearce was sent back to the AHL.
With the season down to the wire now, it’ll be up to Howard to help the Red Wings stay in the hunt with St. Louis. His job is made a bit harder with both Nicklas Lidstrom and Pavel Datsyuk both still out with their separate ailments. Detroit could use a pick-me-up though as they’ve lost six of their last nine games.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)