Mar 12, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov‘s massive turnaround this season is finally turning some heads and now the NHL is taking notice as well. Bryzgalov locked down the NHL’s first star of the week award after putting up monster numbers during a week that saw him go 3-0-0 with two shutouts.
Bryzgalov’s goals against for the week was a microscopic 0.65 while stopping shots at a .979 percentage. Putting up back-to-back shutouts against Florida and Toronto helped him lock down the weekly award, fighting off big weeks from the league’s second star Ilya Kovalchuk and third star Jaroslav Halak.
Kovalchuk had five goals and nine points on the week while Halak was equally huge in goal for the Blues going 3-0-0 as well with slightly worse numbers than Bryzgalov (1.00 GAA, .962 SV%).
For Bryzgalov, the award for the week is helping show off how great he’s been of late for the Flyers. He got the call in 11 straight games and has established himself as the absolute No. 1 guy in goal in Philly. After a tumultuous start to his first season in Philly, he’s settled down in a big way.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 15
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17