Mar 12, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov‘s massive turnaround this season is finally turning some heads and now the NHL is taking notice as well. Bryzgalov locked down the NHL’s first star of the week award after putting up monster numbers during a week that saw him go 3-0-0 with two shutouts.
Bryzgalov’s goals against for the week was a microscopic 0.65 while stopping shots at a .979 percentage. Putting up back-to-back shutouts against Florida and Toronto helped him lock down the weekly award, fighting off big weeks from the league’s second star Ilya Kovalchuk and third star Jaroslav Halak.
Kovalchuk had five goals and nine points on the week while Halak was equally huge in goal for the Blues going 3-0-0 as well with slightly worse numbers than Bryzgalov (1.00 GAA, .962 SV%).
For Bryzgalov, the award for the week is helping show off how great he’s been of late for the Flyers. He got the call in 11 straight games and has established himself as the absolute No. 1 guy in goal in Philly. After a tumultuous start to his first season in Philly, he’s settled down in a big way.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 1
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)