Mar 12, 2012, 11:29 AM EST
Ilya Bryzgalov‘s massive turnaround this season is finally turning some heads and now the NHL is taking notice as well. Bryzgalov locked down the NHL’s first star of the week award after putting up monster numbers during a week that saw him go 3-0-0 with two shutouts.
Bryzgalov’s goals against for the week was a microscopic 0.65 while stopping shots at a .979 percentage. Putting up back-to-back shutouts against Florida and Toronto helped him lock down the weekly award, fighting off big weeks from the league’s second star Ilya Kovalchuk and third star Jaroslav Halak.
Kovalchuk had five goals and nine points on the week while Halak was equally huge in goal for the Blues going 3-0-0 as well with slightly worse numbers than Bryzgalov (1.00 GAA, .962 SV%).
For Bryzgalov, the award for the week is helping show off how great he’s been of late for the Flyers. He got the call in 11 straight games and has established himself as the absolute No. 1 guy in goal in Philly. After a tumultuous start to his first season in Philly, he’s settled down in a big way.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 1
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 20
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 5
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 20
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 129
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (129)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (108)