Mar 12, 2012, 10:36 AM EDT
The NHL’s general managers are in Boca Raton, Florida to kick off two days of meetings to discuss what they’d like to do to help improve the league.
As Dan Rosen of NHL.com points out, the biggest thing the executives will chew on surrounds matters of player safety. Among the topics to be discussed include possible changes to the icing rule, 3-on-3 overtime, as well as the controversial topic of returning the red line and two-line pass.
Florida GM Dale Tallon tells Rosen that it’s been a while since they’ve even talked about how removing the two-line pass after the lockout has affected the game.
“We need to discuss it. I don’t think it has been discussed that often. It’s been a body of work since the last (collective bargaining agreement) and maybe it is time to take a look to see if there is a benefit or not. We have to be careful, but I think it’s a good conversation piece.”
James Mirtle of The Globe And Mail hears from a few other GMs and they’d also like to talk about the removal of the goalie trapezoid as well. Detroit GM Ken Holland is a major proponent of seeing the trapezoid go away.
“I’d prefer to see it out,” Detroit GM Ken Holland said. “I think if you’ve got a goalie that can go out and handle the puck and he’s got an advantage, let him go.”
Guys like Martin Brodeur would love to see the trapezoid go away. Meanwhile, other coaches would be looking for ways to chain their goalies to the post so they can’t wander.
While there won’t be any rule changes to come out of these meetings, the team GMs will see where they stand so that if things are to change over the summer, they can get the ball rolling now.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 6
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)