Mar 12, 2012, 10:36 AM EDT
The NHL’s general managers are in Boca Raton, Florida to kick off two days of meetings to discuss what they’d like to do to help improve the league.
As Dan Rosen of NHL.com points out, the biggest thing the executives will chew on surrounds matters of player safety. Among the topics to be discussed include possible changes to the icing rule, 3-on-3 overtime, as well as the controversial topic of returning the red line and two-line pass.
Florida GM Dale Tallon tells Rosen that it’s been a while since they’ve even talked about how removing the two-line pass after the lockout has affected the game.
“We need to discuss it. I don’t think it has been discussed that often. It’s been a body of work since the last (collective bargaining agreement) and maybe it is time to take a look to see if there is a benefit or not. We have to be careful, but I think it’s a good conversation piece.”
James Mirtle of The Globe And Mail hears from a few other GMs and they’d also like to talk about the removal of the goalie trapezoid as well. Detroit GM Ken Holland is a major proponent of seeing the trapezoid go away.
“I’d prefer to see it out,” Detroit GM Ken Holland said. “I think if you’ve got a goalie that can go out and handle the puck and he’s got an advantage, let him go.”
Guys like Martin Brodeur would love to see the trapezoid go away. Meanwhile, other coaches would be looking for ways to chain their goalies to the post so they can’t wander.
While there won’t be any rule changes to come out of these meetings, the team GMs will see where they stand so that if things are to change over the summer, they can get the ball rolling now.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)