Mar 12, 2012, 10:36 AM EST
The NHL’s general managers are in Boca Raton, Florida to kick off two days of meetings to discuss what they’d like to do to help improve the league.
As Dan Rosen of NHL.com points out, the biggest thing the executives will chew on surrounds matters of player safety. Among the topics to be discussed include possible changes to the icing rule, 3-on-3 overtime, as well as the controversial topic of returning the red line and two-line pass.
Florida GM Dale Tallon tells Rosen that it’s been a while since they’ve even talked about how removing the two-line pass after the lockout has affected the game.
“We need to discuss it. I don’t think it has been discussed that often. It’s been a body of work since the last (collective bargaining agreement) and maybe it is time to take a look to see if there is a benefit or not. We have to be careful, but I think it’s a good conversation piece.”
James Mirtle of The Globe And Mail hears from a few other GMs and they’d also like to talk about the removal of the goalie trapezoid as well. Detroit GM Ken Holland is a major proponent of seeing the trapezoid go away.
“I’d prefer to see it out,” Detroit GM Ken Holland said. “I think if you’ve got a goalie that can go out and handle the puck and he’s got an advantage, let him go.”
Guys like Martin Brodeur would love to see the trapezoid go away. Meanwhile, other coaches would be looking for ways to chain their goalies to the post so they can’t wander.
While there won’t be any rule changes to come out of these meetings, the team GMs will see where they stand so that if things are to change over the summer, they can get the ball rolling now.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)