Mar 12, 2012, 10:36 AM EST
The NHL’s general managers are in Boca Raton, Florida to kick off two days of meetings to discuss what they’d like to do to help improve the league.
As Dan Rosen of NHL.com points out, the biggest thing the executives will chew on surrounds matters of player safety. Among the topics to be discussed include possible changes to the icing rule, 3-on-3 overtime, as well as the controversial topic of returning the red line and two-line pass.
Florida GM Dale Tallon tells Rosen that it’s been a while since they’ve even talked about how removing the two-line pass after the lockout has affected the game.
“We need to discuss it. I don’t think it has been discussed that often. It’s been a body of work since the last (collective bargaining agreement) and maybe it is time to take a look to see if there is a benefit or not. We have to be careful, but I think it’s a good conversation piece.”
James Mirtle of The Globe And Mail hears from a few other GMs and they’d also like to talk about the removal of the goalie trapezoid as well. Detroit GM Ken Holland is a major proponent of seeing the trapezoid go away.
“I’d prefer to see it out,” Detroit GM Ken Holland said. “I think if you’ve got a goalie that can go out and handle the puck and he’s got an advantage, let him go.”
Guys like Martin Brodeur would love to see the trapezoid go away. Meanwhile, other coaches would be looking for ways to chain their goalies to the post so they can’t wander.
While there won’t be any rule changes to come out of these meetings, the team GMs will see where they stand so that if things are to change over the summer, they can get the ball rolling now.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 43
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 66
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 14
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 73
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)