Mar 12, 2012, 10:14 PM EDT
After Carey Price stopped 32 of 33 shots in a 4-1 victory over Vancouver on Saturday, Montreal decided to rest him against the Buffalo Sabres. Peter Budaj held his own in relief of Price against a Sabres team that’s desperately fighting to stay in the playoff race. Buffalo outshot Montreal 14-6 in the first period, but the score was 1-0 in favor of the Canadiens after 20 minutes.
Ennis finally found the back of the net at 11:08 of the second period and then again early in the third. He has just 18 points in his injury-shortened sophomore season, but he’s bounced back lately with 11 points in his last 14 games. Drew Stafford assisted on both goals to end his four-game pointless slump.
It looked like the story would end there, but David Desharnais, who was questionable to even play Monday night due to a lower body injury, netted the game-tying goal with just five seconds remaining in regulation time. You can check out his heroics below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Desharnais’ efforts allowed Montreal to walk away with a point, but Buffalo still won the contest on the strength of Tyler Myers’ overtime goal. Ryan Miller made 26 saves to reach the 25-win mark for the seventh straight season.
Each team had two power-play opportunities, but neither managed to capitalize. Buffalo has been particularly effective when it comes to killing penalties lately. They haven’t allowed a power-play goal since Feb. 24.
For Buffalo, this win keeps hope alive as they try to catch up to the surging Washington Capitals, who currently hold the eighth seed in the Eastern Conference. The Sabres are now just two points behind the Capitals, but Buffalo has also played in one extra contest. Meanwhile, the Canadiens are simply playing for personal and professional pride. They are stuck in last place in the Eastern Conference and no longer have any realistic hope of playing beyond April 7.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 0
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 6
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)