Mar 12, 2012, 10:14 PM EDT
After Carey Price stopped 32 of 33 shots in a 4-1 victory over Vancouver on Saturday, Montreal decided to rest him against the Buffalo Sabres. Peter Budaj held his own in relief of Price against a Sabres team that’s desperately fighting to stay in the playoff race. Buffalo outshot Montreal 14-6 in the first period, but the score was 1-0 in favor of the Canadiens after 20 minutes.
Ennis finally found the back of the net at 11:08 of the second period and then again early in the third. He has just 18 points in his injury-shortened sophomore season, but he’s bounced back lately with 11 points in his last 14 games. Drew Stafford assisted on both goals to end his four-game pointless slump.
It looked like the story would end there, but David Desharnais, who was questionable to even play Monday night due to a lower body injury, netted the game-tying goal with just five seconds remaining in regulation time. You can check out his heroics below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Desharnais’ efforts allowed Montreal to walk away with a point, but Buffalo still won the contest on the strength of Tyler Myers’ overtime goal. Ryan Miller made 26 saves to reach the 25-win mark for the seventh straight season.
Each team had two power-play opportunities, but neither managed to capitalize. Buffalo has been particularly effective when it comes to killing penalties lately. They haven’t allowed a power-play goal since Feb. 24.
For Buffalo, this win keeps hope alive as they try to catch up to the surging Washington Capitals, who currently hold the eighth seed in the Eastern Conference. The Sabres are now just two points behind the Capitals, but Buffalo has also played in one extra contest. Meanwhile, the Canadiens are simply playing for personal and professional pride. They are stuck in last place in the Eastern Conference and no longer have any realistic hope of playing beyond April 7.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40