Mar 12, 2012, 9:34 PM EST
Since being dropped to the fourth line during Friday’s practice, Alex Semin has snapped out of his five-game pointless slump with a goal and two assists in two contests.
“I was just mixing up lines,” Capitals coach Dale Hunter said. “Sometimes you get stale and need to practice with different people.”
Semin has been a disappointment this season with 18 goals and 44 points in 65 games, but those numbers mask the fact that he has turned his season around since the middle of December. He has 33 points in his last 38 games.
He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and how he performs over the next few weeks could go a long way towards determining what kind of contract he’ll get. Personally, I have a hard time believing that he’ll end up with an annual salary near the $6.7 million he’s making this season, but you can never discount the possibility that a desperate team will be open to throwing a ton of money at a talented, but risky player.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 16
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)