Mar 12, 2012, 5:04 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks ultra-pest (and reigning Hart Trophy winner) Corey Perry has been called many things in his brief but productive career. Most of those things cannot be published in a “family” blog.
Still, part of what makes him such an irritant for opposing goalies and players is a considerable willingness to take abuse – especially in front of the net. Considering the abuse he can take from time to time, one word that probably wouldn’t apply to him is “soft.”
In fact, Perry has played in 272 consecutive hockey games, but a shoulder injury suffered from a Stephane Robidas check might just end that mini-Iron Man streak. The OC Register’s Eric Stephens reports that Perry might not play against the Colorado Avalanche tonight.
Bruce Boudreau said that Perry is “doubtful” to play but wouldn’t be surprised if he played anyway.
“He’s at the stage where he wants to play,” Boudreau said. ”We’ll see how it goes at game time. It doesn’t surprise me one lick. I know I’ve only been here for three months or fourth months but you get to know people in a hurry. He’s a battler. As good as they come.”
(Is it a bad sign that I imagined Boudreau chowing down on a huge hot fudge sundae when he used the phrase “one lick” in that quote? It’s probably a bad sign.)
For what it’s worth, Perry labeled his chances at “50-50,” which is typical of hockey players who rarely give us any idea if they’ll play.
Ultimately, it doesn’t really behoove the Ducks to push their star into action with only the biggest dreamers clinging onto playoffs hopes. Then again, fantasy hockey owners gearing up for their own personally pivotal playoff runs probably don’t want to hear it.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 19
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 80
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)