Mar 12, 2012, 5:04 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks ultra-pest (and reigning Hart Trophy winner) Corey Perry has been called many things in his brief but productive career. Most of those things cannot be published in a “family” blog.
Still, part of what makes him such an irritant for opposing goalies and players is a considerable willingness to take abuse – especially in front of the net. Considering the abuse he can take from time to time, one word that probably wouldn’t apply to him is “soft.”
In fact, Perry has played in 272 consecutive hockey games, but a shoulder injury suffered from a Stephane Robidas check might just end that mini-Iron Man streak. The OC Register’s Eric Stephens reports that Perry might not play against the Colorado Avalanche tonight.
Bruce Boudreau said that Perry is “doubtful” to play but wouldn’t be surprised if he played anyway.
“He’s at the stage where he wants to play,” Boudreau said. ”We’ll see how it goes at game time. It doesn’t surprise me one lick. I know I’ve only been here for three months or fourth months but you get to know people in a hurry. He’s a battler. As good as they come.”
(Is it a bad sign that I imagined Boudreau chowing down on a huge hot fudge sundae when he used the phrase “one lick” in that quote? It’s probably a bad sign.)
For what it’s worth, Perry labeled his chances at “50-50,” which is typical of hockey players who rarely give us any idea if they’ll play.
Ultimately, it doesn’t really behoove the Ducks to push their star into action with only the biggest dreamers clinging onto playoffs hopes. Then again, fantasy hockey owners gearing up for their own personally pivotal playoff runs probably don’t want to hear it.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)