Mar 12, 2012, 5:04 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks ultra-pest (and reigning Hart Trophy winner) Corey Perry has been called many things in his brief but productive career. Most of those things cannot be published in a “family” blog.
Still, part of what makes him such an irritant for opposing goalies and players is a considerable willingness to take abuse – especially in front of the net. Considering the abuse he can take from time to time, one word that probably wouldn’t apply to him is “soft.”
In fact, Perry has played in 272 consecutive hockey games, but a shoulder injury suffered from a Stephane Robidas check might just end that mini-Iron Man streak. The OC Register’s Eric Stephens reports that Perry might not play against the Colorado Avalanche tonight.
Bruce Boudreau said that Perry is “doubtful” to play but wouldn’t be surprised if he played anyway.
“He’s at the stage where he wants to play,” Boudreau said. ”We’ll see how it goes at game time. It doesn’t surprise me one lick. I know I’ve only been here for three months or fourth months but you get to know people in a hurry. He’s a battler. As good as they come.”
(Is it a bad sign that I imagined Boudreau chowing down on a huge hot fudge sundae when he used the phrase “one lick” in that quote? It’s probably a bad sign.)
For what it’s worth, Perry labeled his chances at “50-50,” which is typical of hockey players who rarely give us any idea if they’ll play.
Ultimately, it doesn’t really behoove the Ducks to push their star into action with only the biggest dreamers clinging onto playoffs hopes. Then again, fantasy hockey owners gearing up for their own personally pivotal playoff runs probably don’t want to hear it.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)