Mar 12, 2012, 5:04 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks ultra-pest (and reigning Hart Trophy winner) Corey Perry has been called many things in his brief but productive career. Most of those things cannot be published in a “family” blog.
Still, part of what makes him such an irritant for opposing goalies and players is a considerable willingness to take abuse – especially in front of the net. Considering the abuse he can take from time to time, one word that probably wouldn’t apply to him is “soft.”
In fact, Perry has played in 272 consecutive hockey games, but a shoulder injury suffered from a Stephane Robidas check might just end that mini-Iron Man streak. The OC Register’s Eric Stephens reports that Perry might not play against the Colorado Avalanche tonight.
Bruce Boudreau said that Perry is “doubtful” to play but wouldn’t be surprised if he played anyway.
“He’s at the stage where he wants to play,” Boudreau said. ”We’ll see how it goes at game time. It doesn’t surprise me one lick. I know I’ve only been here for three months or fourth months but you get to know people in a hurry. He’s a battler. As good as they come.”
(Is it a bad sign that I imagined Boudreau chowing down on a huge hot fudge sundae when he used the phrase “one lick” in that quote? It’s probably a bad sign.)
For what it’s worth, Perry labeled his chances at “50-50,” which is typical of hockey players who rarely give us any idea if they’ll play.
Ultimately, it doesn’t really behoove the Ducks to push their star into action with only the biggest dreamers clinging onto playoffs hopes. Then again, fantasy hockey owners gearing up for their own personally pivotal playoff runs probably don’t want to hear it.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 10
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 21
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 23
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)