Mar 12, 2012, 9:30 AM EST
While Dan Carcillo is on the shelf for the rest of the season with a knee injury, that’s given him plenty of time to talk about the future with the Chicago Blackhawks. With all that time on his hands, he was able to nail down a two-year contract extension with the team to remain in Chicago.
At 26-years-old, Carcillo is just hitting his stride as a player in the league and he was just starting to get comfortable with the Blackhawks when he hurt his knee back in January. Through 28 games with the Hawks this year, Carcillo put up two goals, nine assists, and 82 penalty minutes. His job is to be tough and get under the opponents’ skin and he’s very good at doing that.
With all the talk that the Blackhawks are still lacking some toughness this year, his presence has apparently been missed this year. Ever since Carcillo went down with his ACL injury, Chicago has gone 13-14-4 without him. Coincidence or not, his presence made things a bit easier on his teammates.
Update (11:34 a.m. ET): Renaud Lavoie of RDS reports that Carcillo’s deal comes with a $825,000 cap hit, a total of $1.65 million for the deal.
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 0
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 14
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)