Mar 11, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
Evgeni Malkin did more than just retake the lead in the NHL’s point race by registering three assists on Sunday, he also surpassed a key career milestone. Malkin got his 500th career point on Matt Niskanen’s first period goal. You can take a look at the play for yourself below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Malkin went onto record points 501 and 502 in his 413rd career game. He’s still no Sidney Crosby, who has 584 points in 420 contests. However, in a franchise that has been home to some legendary players, Malkin is fifth on the team’s all-time points per game list behind just Paul Coffey, Jaromir Jagr, Crosby, and Mario Lemieux.
He also is arguably the biggest reasons why the Pittsburgh Penguins have a 42-21-5 record in a season where Crosby has only played in eight of their first 68 games. He’s got some fierce competition, but there are a lot of reasons to like Malkin’s chances of winning his first Hart Trophy.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)