Mar 11, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
Evgeni Malkin did more than just retake the lead in the NHL’s point race by registering three assists on Sunday, he also surpassed a key career milestone. Malkin got his 500th career point on Matt Niskanen’s first period goal. You can take a look at the play for yourself below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Malkin went onto record points 501 and 502 in his 413rd career game. He’s still no Sidney Crosby, who has 584 points in 420 contests. However, in a franchise that has been home to some legendary players, Malkin is fifth on the team’s all-time points per game list behind just Paul Coffey, Jaromir Jagr, Crosby, and Mario Lemieux.
He also is arguably the biggest reasons why the Pittsburgh Penguins have a 42-21-5 record in a season where Crosby has only played in eight of their first 68 games. He’s got some fierce competition, but there are a lot of reasons to like Malkin’s chances of winning his first Hart Trophy.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 17
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)