Mar 11, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
Evgeni Malkin did more than just retake the lead in the NHL’s point race by registering three assists on Sunday, he also surpassed a key career milestone. Malkin got his 500th career point on Matt Niskanen’s first period goal. You can take a look at the play for yourself below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Malkin went onto record points 501 and 502 in his 413rd career game. He’s still no Sidney Crosby, who has 584 points in 420 contests. However, in a franchise that has been home to some legendary players, Malkin is fifth on the team’s all-time points per game list behind just Paul Coffey, Jaromir Jagr, Crosby, and Mario Lemieux.
He also is arguably the biggest reasons why the Pittsburgh Penguins have a 42-21-5 record in a season where Crosby has only played in eight of their first 68 games. He’s got some fierce competition, but there are a lot of reasons to like Malkin’s chances of winning his first Hart Trophy.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)