Mar 11, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
Evgeni Malkin did more than just retake the lead in the NHL’s point race by registering three assists on Sunday, he also surpassed a key career milestone. Malkin got his 500th career point on Matt Niskanen’s first period goal. You can take a look at the play for yourself below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Malkin went onto record points 501 and 502 in his 413rd career game. He’s still no Sidney Crosby, who has 584 points in 420 contests. However, in a franchise that has been home to some legendary players, Malkin is fifth on the team’s all-time points per game list behind just Paul Coffey, Jaromir Jagr, Crosby, and Mario Lemieux.
He also is arguably the biggest reasons why the Pittsburgh Penguins have a 42-21-5 record in a season where Crosby has only played in eight of their first 68 games. He’s got some fierce competition, but there are a lot of reasons to like Malkin’s chances of winning his first Hart Trophy.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)