Mar 11, 2012, 10:53 AM EDT
The consensus top prospect for this summer’s NHL Draft is having a rough season. Nail Yakupov has already missed time this season thanks to a knee injury and now he’s got a likely head injury to add to the list.
Yakupov took an illegal check to the head during his junior game in Ontario last night and was knocked out of the game from the hit. Yakupov was crushed illegally by Isles prospect Mike Halmo as he was cutting through the zone. Check out the video here.
With Yakupov’s two injuries just this year, the question now comes up as to how this will affect his draft stock in June, if at all. With the Columbus Blue Jackets in the driver’s seat for the No. 1 overall pick at the moment, seeing Yakupov take a hit like this on top of having a knee issue earlier in the year could give them pause when it comes time to pick.
As it is, Marc-Antoine Godin of La Presse in Montreal reports that three NHL executives he’s spoken to have told him the Blue Jackets are open to shopping the top overall pick should they get it and this news came down before Yakupov was hurt last night. With the Jackets out of the playoffs, let the postseason jockeying begin.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)