Mar 11, 2012, 12:56 AM EDT
It’s too late for Andrei Markov to help the Montreal Canadiens make the playoffs, but after nearly 16 months on the sidelines, he was finally able to contribute. Markov registered an assist on P.K. Subban’s power-play goal as the Canadiens cruised to a 4-1 victory over the Vancouver Canucks.
This was also a special night for Blake Geoffrion, who came to Montreal from Nashville as part of the Hal Gill trade. Geoffrion netted his first goal in 28 games this season. Montreal’s Erik Cole scored twice to reached the 25-goal mark for the second straight season.
The game was tied at 1-1 going into the third period, but Montreal outshot Vancouver 18-11 in the final 20 minutes. Roberto Luongo ended up with 31 saves in the contest, but still suffered his second straight loss. Luongo has also allowed three or more goals in six of his last seven starts as the Canucks seem to be limping to the finish line.
Fortunately for Vancouver, they aren’t in any real danger of losing the Northwest Division title or even slipping lower than the second seed in the Western Conference. However, the Canucks’ recent struggles have been costly as they compete with the St. Louis Blues for the top position.
Vancouver will get a chance to regroup, as they are only scheduled to play one game over the next six days. Montreal will head to Buffalo for a game on Monday as they attempt to hurt the Sabres’ chances of making the playoffs.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)