Mar 11, 2012, 6:45 PM EST
Ilya Bryzgalov has three shutouts in his last four games, but after starting in 11 straight games, Flyers coach Peter Laviolette has decided that it’s time for a break. Bryzgalov will start Sunday’s game against New Jersey on the bench after turning aside 29 saves in regulation in Philadelphia’s 1-0 shootout victory on Saturday.
“We had talked about this, looking at the schedule and what’s coming up _ the back-to-back,” Laviolette said. “Eleven in a row, and every other night pretty much. It’s a chance to get a fresh goaltender in there, and he’ll be ready to play.”
We all knew Sergei Bobrovsky would have to get a start eventually and the Flyers’ schedule is packed over the next two weeks. Still, Laviolette is taking a risk by benching Bryzgalov while he’s red hot.
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 0
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 21
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 16
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 13
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 10
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8