Mar 11, 2012, 6:45 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov has three shutouts in his last four games, but after starting in 11 straight games, Flyers coach Peter Laviolette has decided that it’s time for a break. Bryzgalov will start Sunday’s game against New Jersey on the bench after turning aside 29 saves in regulation in Philadelphia’s 1-0 shootout victory on Saturday.
“We had talked about this, looking at the schedule and what’s coming up _ the back-to-back,” Laviolette said. “Eleven in a row, and every other night pretty much. It’s a chance to get a fresh goaltender in there, and he’ll be ready to play.”
We all knew Sergei Bobrovsky would have to get a start eventually and the Flyers’ schedule is packed over the next two weeks. Still, Laviolette is taking a risk by benching Bryzgalov while he’s red hot.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 9
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 25
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40