Mar 11, 2012, 6:45 PM EST
Ilya Bryzgalov has three shutouts in his last four games, but after starting in 11 straight games, Flyers coach Peter Laviolette has decided that it’s time for a break. Bryzgalov will start Sunday’s game against New Jersey on the bench after turning aside 29 saves in regulation in Philadelphia’s 1-0 shootout victory on Saturday.
“We had talked about this, looking at the schedule and what’s coming up _ the back-to-back,” Laviolette said. “Eleven in a row, and every other night pretty much. It’s a chance to get a fresh goaltender in there, and he’ll be ready to play.”
We all knew Sergei Bobrovsky would have to get a start eventually and the Flyers’ schedule is packed over the next two weeks. Still, Laviolette is taking a risk by benching Bryzgalov while he’s red hot.
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 34
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 9
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 28