Mar 11, 2012, 10:21 PM EDT
It wasn’t Martin Brodeur’s most dramatic win and it’s wasn’t the hardest he’s had to work over 60 minutes to earn a victory. Still, when you’re talking about Brodeur’s best wins, you have a lot to choose from. He has, after all, now won 650 regular season games.
Brodeur only needed to make 18 saves on Sunday to lead the Devils to a 4-1 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers. He has over 300 more victories than the next best active goaltender on the wins list. He’s also won 99 more regular season contests than Patrick Roy, who ranks second in career victories.
Playing between the pipes for Philadelphia was Sergei Bobrovsky, who was giving Ilya Bryzgalov the night off. Bryzgalov has three shutouts in his last four starts, but after starting in 11 straight games, including Saturday’s contest, coach Peter Laviolette decided to give him a break. Bobrovsky and the Flyers held their own for the first 40 minutes, but he stopped just 10 of 13 shots in the third period. Bobrovsky has an ugly 5.19 GAA and .832 save percentage since the start of February.
This was a key victory for the New Jersey Devils, who are now tied with the Philadelphia Flyers for fifth place in the Eastern Conference. That said, the Flyers have played in one less game, so they still have an edge. Philadelphia will get a chance to bounce back on Tuesday when the teams play in the second half of their home-and-home series.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off