Mar 11, 2012, 10:21 PM EST
It wasn’t Martin Brodeur’s most dramatic win and it’s wasn’t the hardest he’s had to work over 60 minutes to earn a victory. Still, when you’re talking about Brodeur’s best wins, you have a lot to choose from. He has, after all, now won 650 regular season games.
Brodeur only needed to make 18 saves on Sunday to lead the Devils to a 4-1 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers. He has over 300 more victories than the next best active goaltender on the wins list. He’s also won 99 more regular season contests than Patrick Roy, who ranks second in career victories.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Playing between the pipes for Philadelphia was Sergei Bobrovsky, who was giving Ilya Bryzgalov the night off. Bryzgalov has three shutouts in his last four starts, but after starting in 11 straight games, including Saturday’s contest, coach Peter Laviolette decided to give him a break. Bobrovsky and the Flyers held their own for the first 40 minutes, but he stopped just 10 of 13 shots in the third period. Bobrovsky has an ugly 5.19 GAA and .832 save percentage since the start of February.
This was a key victory for the New Jersey Devils, who are now tied with the Philadelphia Flyers for fifth place in the Eastern Conference. That said, the Flyers have played in one less game, so they still have an edge. Philadelphia will get a chance to bounce back on Tuesday when the teams play in the second half of their home-and-home series.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 3
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46