Mar 11, 2012, 10:21 PM EDT
It wasn’t Martin Brodeur’s most dramatic win and it’s wasn’t the hardest he’s had to work over 60 minutes to earn a victory. Still, when you’re talking about Brodeur’s best wins, you have a lot to choose from. He has, after all, now won 650 regular season games.
Brodeur only needed to make 18 saves on Sunday to lead the Devils to a 4-1 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers. He has over 300 more victories than the next best active goaltender on the wins list. He’s also won 99 more regular season contests than Patrick Roy, who ranks second in career victories.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Playing between the pipes for Philadelphia was Sergei Bobrovsky, who was giving Ilya Bryzgalov the night off. Bryzgalov has three shutouts in his last four starts, but after starting in 11 straight games, including Saturday’s contest, coach Peter Laviolette decided to give him a break. Bobrovsky and the Flyers held their own for the first 40 minutes, but he stopped just 10 of 13 shots in the third period. Bobrovsky has an ugly 5.19 GAA and .832 save percentage since the start of February.
This was a key victory for the New Jersey Devils, who are now tied with the Philadelphia Flyers for fifth place in the Eastern Conference. That said, the Flyers have played in one less game, so they still have an edge. Philadelphia will get a chance to bounce back on Tuesday when the teams play in the second half of their home-and-home series.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)