Mar 11, 2012, 10:21 PM EST
It wasn’t Martin Brodeur’s most dramatic win and it’s wasn’t the hardest he’s had to work over 60 minutes to earn a victory. Still, when you’re talking about Brodeur’s best wins, you have a lot to choose from. He has, after all, now won 650 regular season games.
Brodeur only needed to make 18 saves on Sunday to lead the Devils to a 4-1 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers. He has over 300 more victories than the next best active goaltender on the wins list. He’s also won 99 more regular season contests than Patrick Roy, who ranks second in career victories.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Playing between the pipes for Philadelphia was Sergei Bobrovsky, who was giving Ilya Bryzgalov the night off. Bryzgalov has three shutouts in his last four starts, but after starting in 11 straight games, including Saturday’s contest, coach Peter Laviolette decided to give him a break. Bobrovsky and the Flyers held their own for the first 40 minutes, but he stopped just 10 of 13 shots in the third period. Bobrovsky has an ugly 5.19 GAA and .832 save percentage since the start of February.
This was a key victory for the New Jersey Devils, who are now tied with the Philadelphia Flyers for fifth place in the Eastern Conference. That said, the Flyers have played in one less game, so they still have an edge. Philadelphia will get a chance to bounce back on Tuesday when the teams play in the second half of their home-and-home series.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)