Mar 10, 2012, 10:20 PM EDT
Fans hoping for NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to start making some serious progress towards a new collective bargaining agreement could be very disappointed. According to Eric Francis on CBC’s Hot Stove, the two sides aren’t expected to officially kick off negotiations until after the Stanley Cup finals in June.
The logic is pretty much what you would figure. For the Players’ Association, waiting would allow all players to be fully focus on the process and not just the ones from teams that have already been eliminated. The NHL would also avoid running the risk of the CBA negotiations distracting from the playoffs.
The current CBA runs through September, so even if they wait until June to get the ball rolling, they’ll still have plenty of time to work things out. That being said, if they don’t resolve the issue by July, then GMs could be in an awkward position during this summer’s free agent market. According to Elliotte Friedman, the salary cap could be above $70 million in July, but that doesn’t mean it will be anything near that come September.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)