Mar 10, 2012, 10:53 PM EST
The Nashville Predators took a significant risk when they acquired the slumping Andrei Kostitsyn from Montreal, but so far it has paid off. Kostitsyn scored a pair of power-play goals to lead Nashville to a 3-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings.
Kostitsyn now has three goals and six points in five games since joining the Predators. His younger brother, Sergei Kostitsyn, assisted on both of his goals. David Legwand registered three assists Saturday to give him six points in his last seven contests.
Detroit was once again playing without Jimmy Howard, who is recovering from a groin injury. Joey MacDonald was superb in his first stint in relief of Howard back in February, but things haven’t been going nearly as well this time around. MacDonald has a 2.76 GAA and .875 save percentage in four games since Howard left sustained the injury on March 4. The good news for Red Wings fans is that Howard could be back as early as Tuesday.
Nashville has now won three of its last four games. The Predators have a firm lead on the fifth seed, but this victory puts them just four points behind Detroit. The Red Wings currently sit in fourth place in the Western Conference after conceding the Central Division lead to the surging St. Louis Blues.
From here, Detroit will head to California for three games next week against the Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks, and San Jose Sharks. The Predators will also head west to play in Phoenix, San Jose, Los Angeles, and Anaheim next week.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)