Mar 10, 2012, 10:53 PM EST
The Nashville Predators took a significant risk when they acquired the slumping Andrei Kostitsyn from Montreal, but so far it has paid off. Kostitsyn scored a pair of power-play goals to lead Nashville to a 3-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings.
Kostitsyn now has three goals and six points in five games since joining the Predators. His younger brother, Sergei Kostitsyn, assisted on both of his goals. David Legwand registered three assists Saturday to give him six points in his last seven contests.
Detroit was once again playing without Jimmy Howard, who is recovering from a groin injury. Joey MacDonald was superb in his first stint in relief of Howard back in February, but things haven’t been going nearly as well this time around. MacDonald has a 2.76 GAA and .875 save percentage in four games since Howard left sustained the injury on March 4. The good news for Red Wings fans is that Howard could be back as early as Tuesday.
Nashville has now won three of its last four games. The Predators have a firm lead on the fifth seed, but this victory puts them just four points behind Detroit. The Red Wings currently sit in fourth place in the Western Conference after conceding the Central Division lead to the surging St. Louis Blues.
From here, Detroit will head to California for three games next week against the Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks, and San Jose Sharks. The Predators will also head west to play in Phoenix, San Jose, Los Angeles, and Anaheim next week.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)