Mar 10, 2012, 10:53 PM EST
The Nashville Predators took a significant risk when they acquired the slumping Andrei Kostitsyn from Montreal, but so far it has paid off. Kostitsyn scored a pair of power-play goals to lead Nashville to a 3-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings.
Kostitsyn now has three goals and six points in five games since joining the Predators. His younger brother, Sergei Kostitsyn, assisted on both of his goals. David Legwand registered three assists Saturday to give him six points in his last seven contests.
Detroit was once again playing without Jimmy Howard, who is recovering from a groin injury. Joey MacDonald was superb in his first stint in relief of Howard back in February, but things haven’t been going nearly as well this time around. MacDonald has a 2.76 GAA and .875 save percentage in four games since Howard left sustained the injury on March 4. The good news for Red Wings fans is that Howard could be back as early as Tuesday.
Nashville has now won three of its last four games. The Predators have a firm lead on the fifth seed, but this victory puts them just four points behind Detroit. The Red Wings currently sit in fourth place in the Western Conference after conceding the Central Division lead to the surging St. Louis Blues.
From here, Detroit will head to California for three games next week against the Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks, and San Jose Sharks. The Predators will also head west to play in Phoenix, San Jose, Los Angeles, and Anaheim next week.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)