Mar 10, 2012, 10:53 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators took a significant risk when they acquired the slumping Andrei Kostitsyn from Montreal, but so far it has paid off. Kostitsyn scored a pair of power-play goals to lead Nashville to a 3-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings.
Kostitsyn now has three goals and six points in five games since joining the Predators. His younger brother, Sergei Kostitsyn, assisted on both of his goals. David Legwand registered three assists Saturday to give him six points in his last seven contests.
Detroit was once again playing without Jimmy Howard, who is recovering from a groin injury. Joey MacDonald was superb in his first stint in relief of Howard back in February, but things haven’t been going nearly as well this time around. MacDonald has a 2.76 GAA and .875 save percentage in four games since Howard left sustained the injury on March 4. The good news for Red Wings fans is that Howard could be back as early as Tuesday.
Nashville has now won three of its last four games. The Predators have a firm lead on the fifth seed, but this victory puts them just four points behind Detroit. The Red Wings currently sit in fourth place in the Western Conference after conceding the Central Division lead to the surging St. Louis Blues.
From here, Detroit will head to California for three games next week against the Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks, and San Jose Sharks. The Predators will also head west to play in Phoenix, San Jose, Los Angeles, and Anaheim next week.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)