Mar 10, 2012, 10:53 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators took a significant risk when they acquired the slumping Andrei Kostitsyn from Montreal, but so far it has paid off. Kostitsyn scored a pair of power-play goals to lead Nashville to a 3-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings.
Kostitsyn now has three goals and six points in five games since joining the Predators. His younger brother, Sergei Kostitsyn, assisted on both of his goals. David Legwand registered three assists Saturday to give him six points in his last seven contests.
Detroit was once again playing without Jimmy Howard, who is recovering from a groin injury. Joey MacDonald was superb in his first stint in relief of Howard back in February, but things haven’t been going nearly as well this time around. MacDonald has a 2.76 GAA and .875 save percentage in four games since Howard left sustained the injury on March 4. The good news for Red Wings fans is that Howard could be back as early as Tuesday.
Nashville has now won three of its last four games. The Predators have a firm lead on the fifth seed, but this victory puts them just four points behind Detroit. The Red Wings currently sit in fourth place in the Western Conference after conceding the Central Division lead to the surging St. Louis Blues.
From here, Detroit will head to California for three games next week against the Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks, and San Jose Sharks. The Predators will also head west to play in Phoenix, San Jose, Los Angeles, and Anaheim next week.
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 142
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 27
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (142)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)