Mar 10, 2012, 11:27 AM EST
After the lockout, the red line was taken out of play to allow for more speed and and a more open game on the ice. Now with injuries becoming more commonplace thanks to the increased speed through the neutral zone, some want to see it back in effect.
One of those people that wants it returned is Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock. Unfortunately for him, Red Wings GM Ken Holland doesn’t agree with him as CBC’s Tim Wharnsby shares.
“I’m not sure where we are going if we put the red-line back in,” Holland said. “I think we have a great game. There are scoring chances. There are lead changes. There is parity. There are races for the divisions. There are races for the conferences. There are races for the playoffs. Last year, seven of the 15 series in the playoffs went to a game seven.”
Holland says the game has never been better and after sharing his idea to make overtime a 10-minute affair featuring five minutes each of four-on four and three-on-three to help further eliminate the possibility of shootouts, Holland is keeping busy with the big ideas. Judging by how much talk on bringing back the red line is picking up steam, it looks like Holland is going to be busy fighting a few uphill battles.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)