Mar 10, 2012, 11:27 AM EDT
After the lockout, the red line was taken out of play to allow for more speed and and a more open game on the ice. Now with injuries becoming more commonplace thanks to the increased speed through the neutral zone, some want to see it back in effect.
One of those people that wants it returned is Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock. Unfortunately for him, Red Wings GM Ken Holland doesn’t agree with him as CBC’s Tim Wharnsby shares.
“I’m not sure where we are going if we put the red-line back in,” Holland said. “I think we have a great game. There are scoring chances. There are lead changes. There is parity. There are races for the divisions. There are races for the conferences. There are races for the playoffs. Last year, seven of the 15 series in the playoffs went to a game seven.”
Holland says the game has never been better and after sharing his idea to make overtime a 10-minute affair featuring five minutes each of four-on four and three-on-three to help further eliminate the possibility of shootouts, Holland is keeping busy with the big ideas. Judging by how much talk on bringing back the red line is picking up steam, it looks like Holland is going to be busy fighting a few uphill battles.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)