Mar 10, 2012, 11:27 AM EST
After the lockout, the red line was taken out of play to allow for more speed and and a more open game on the ice. Now with injuries becoming more commonplace thanks to the increased speed through the neutral zone, some want to see it back in effect.
One of those people that wants it returned is Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock. Unfortunately for him, Red Wings GM Ken Holland doesn’t agree with him as CBC’s Tim Wharnsby shares.
“I’m not sure where we are going if we put the red-line back in,” Holland said. “I think we have a great game. There are scoring chances. There are lead changes. There is parity. There are races for the divisions. There are races for the conferences. There are races for the playoffs. Last year, seven of the 15 series in the playoffs went to a game seven.”
Holland says the game has never been better and after sharing his idea to make overtime a 10-minute affair featuring five minutes each of four-on four and three-on-three to help further eliminate the possibility of shootouts, Holland is keeping busy with the big ideas. Judging by how much talk on bringing back the red line is picking up steam, it looks like Holland is going to be busy fighting a few uphill battles.
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)