Mar 10, 2012, 11:27 AM EST
After the lockout, the red line was taken out of play to allow for more speed and and a more open game on the ice. Now with injuries becoming more commonplace thanks to the increased speed through the neutral zone, some want to see it back in effect.
One of those people that wants it returned is Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock. Unfortunately for him, Red Wings GM Ken Holland doesn’t agree with him as CBC’s Tim Wharnsby shares.
“I’m not sure where we are going if we put the red-line back in,” Holland said. “I think we have a great game. There are scoring chances. There are lead changes. There is parity. There are races for the divisions. There are races for the conferences. There are races for the playoffs. Last year, seven of the 15 series in the playoffs went to a game seven.”
Holland says the game has never been better and after sharing his idea to make overtime a 10-minute affair featuring five minutes each of four-on four and three-on-three to help further eliminate the possibility of shootouts, Holland is keeping busy with the big ideas. Judging by how much talk on bringing back the red line is picking up steam, it looks like Holland is going to be busy fighting a few uphill battles.
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 5
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 43
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 100
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Flyers blow 4-1 lead, Caps win in shootout 25
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (100)