Mar 10, 2012, 7:09 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks have 16 games left in their schedule, including their Saturday night contest against the Phoenix Coyotes. As they fight for a playoff spot, one of the questions that they have to ask is how much they should lean on Antti Niemi. Should they give him the occasional game off to keep him rested in the hope that they’re still playing after April 7? Or should we be looking at the issue from an entirely different perspective? CSN’s Kevin Kurz thinks that the more often Niemi plays, the better he gets, and he’s not alone.
“I think we’ve proven that point again. In the phase where we had that real long travel trip and had the three back-to-backs, and he didn’t play as often,” Todd McLellan said. “[It] was probably his weakest point during the season.”
Contrast that with Niemi’s impressive 2.05 GAA and .929 save percentage over 34 straight starts during the second half of the 2010-11 campaign.
The San Jose Sharks have lost four straight games with Niemi between the pipes, but he has a 2.18 GAA and .920 save percentage over that span. The larger problem lately has been San Jose’s offense.
Thomas Greiss has been great this season, but sticking with Niemi might be their best bet moving forward.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)