Mar 10, 2012, 2:08 PM EDT
It’s interesting how quiet things have gotten in Philadelphia when it comes to the play of Ilya Bryzgalov. For the longest time this season, doubts were sky high as to whether or not Bryzgalov was going to be able to handle playing in Philly and his play certainly seemed to indicate that he couldn’t handle it.
Now that he’s shutting things down and playing very solid in goal, the howls for Sergei Bobrovsky to start have died down and Bryzgalov is set to make his 11th straight start tonight for the Flyers, this time in Toronto against the Maple Leafs. As Peter Laviolette tells Sarah Baicker of CSNPhilly.com, Bryzgalov is looking good lately.
“Bryz is fresh. He’s ready,” Laviolette said after the morning skate. “Our team is fresh and ready, and we’ve got a big game tonight. Two points at stake against a team that’s desperate to win. We’ve got a guy who’s coming off a great game, and I’m putting him back in. No, it wasn’t a tough decision.”
Getting things settled down in goal has been huge for the Flyers considering their problems injury-wise elsewhere. With Pavel Kubina and Kimmo Timonen both banged up and Jaromir Jagr and Jakub Voracek dealing with separate issues as well as Danny Briere being mired in a 21-game goalless funk, things could be dramatically worse if not for Bryzgalov.
Who would’ve thought we’d be saying that a couple months ago? In his last 10 games, Bryzgalov is 7-2-0 with a no decision and two shutouts. Keeping that solid play going would help make life a lot easier in Philly come playoff time.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 18
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery