Mar 10, 2012, 2:08 PM EDT
It’s interesting how quiet things have gotten in Philadelphia when it comes to the play of Ilya Bryzgalov. For the longest time this season, doubts were sky high as to whether or not Bryzgalov was going to be able to handle playing in Philly and his play certainly seemed to indicate that he couldn’t handle it.
Now that he’s shutting things down and playing very solid in goal, the howls for Sergei Bobrovsky to start have died down and Bryzgalov is set to make his 11th straight start tonight for the Flyers, this time in Toronto against the Maple Leafs. As Peter Laviolette tells Sarah Baicker of CSNPhilly.com, Bryzgalov is looking good lately.
“Bryz is fresh. He’s ready,” Laviolette said after the morning skate. “Our team is fresh and ready, and we’ve got a big game tonight. Two points at stake against a team that’s desperate to win. We’ve got a guy who’s coming off a great game, and I’m putting him back in. No, it wasn’t a tough decision.”
Getting things settled down in goal has been huge for the Flyers considering their problems injury-wise elsewhere. With Pavel Kubina and Kimmo Timonen both banged up and Jaromir Jagr and Jakub Voracek dealing with separate issues as well as Danny Briere being mired in a 21-game goalless funk, things could be dramatically worse if not for Bryzgalov.
Who would’ve thought we’d be saying that a couple months ago? In his last 10 games, Bryzgalov is 7-2-0 with a no decision and two shutouts. Keeping that solid play going would help make life a lot easier in Philly come playoff time.
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 4
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 12
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12