Mar 10, 2012, 3:18 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens might be out of the playoffs, but they’re not out of surprises. After the news of Andrei Markov being cleared to practice broke earlier this week, the possibility of seeing him play this year came out of nowhere.
According to John Lu of TSN, the Habs surprised everyone by listing Markov on their active roster for tonight’s game against Vancouver meaning he may play against the Canucks.
Markov hasn’t played since hurting his knee in a collision with Eric Staal of the Hurricanes back on November 13, 2010. Since then, Markov’s knee has seen all sorts of issues that have kept him out of action. It was just back in December that Habs GM Pierre Gauthier thought it would just be a few weeks before he got back on the ice following a knee procedure. Now that it’s March, his guess was off by just a couple of months.
If you’re into spooky irony, the last time Markov scored a goal it came last season against Vancouver. It’d make for a hell of a welcome back to play and find the score sheet tonight.
Update: (4:02 p.m. ET): Habs GM Pierre Gauthier confirms on radio that Markov will play tonight.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 23
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)