Mar 10, 2012, 3:18 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens might be out of the playoffs, but they’re not out of surprises. After the news of Andrei Markov being cleared to practice broke earlier this week, the possibility of seeing him play this year came out of nowhere.
According to John Lu of TSN, the Habs surprised everyone by listing Markov on their active roster for tonight’s game against Vancouver meaning he may play against the Canucks.
Markov hasn’t played since hurting his knee in a collision with Eric Staal of the Hurricanes back on November 13, 2010. Since then, Markov’s knee has seen all sorts of issues that have kept him out of action. It was just back in December that Habs GM Pierre Gauthier thought it would just be a few weeks before he got back on the ice following a knee procedure. Now that it’s March, his guess was off by just a couple of months.
If you’re into spooky irony, the last time Markov scored a goal it came last season against Vancouver. It’d make for a hell of a welcome back to play and find the score sheet tonight.
Update: (4:02 p.m. ET): Habs GM Pierre Gauthier confirms on radio that Markov will play tonight.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 62
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (87)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)