Mar 9, 2012, 6:52 PM EST
NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan has suspended Capitals defenseman Mike Green three games for an illegal check to the head of Tampa Bay’s Brett Connolly.
Let’s go to the video…
The incident occurred at 11:03 of the second period — no penalty was assessed on the play and Connolly eventually returned to action.
Part of the reason for the three-game suspension was Green’s reputation, as he was deemed a repeat offender after getting suspended three games in 2010 for elbowing then-Florida forward Michael Frolik:
Green will miss Saturday’s game in Boston, Sunday’s home date with Toronto and Tuesday’s contest in New York against the Islanders. Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Green will forfeit $85,135.14, with all funds going to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)