Mar 9, 2012, 2:31 PM EST
Friday was a good news, bad news kind of day for the Chicago Blackhawks.
The bad news was that captain Jonathan Toews is set to miss his ninth consecutive contest with a concussion, and head coach Joel Quenneville said there’s no timetable for return.
The good news? Toews again skated without suffering any setbacks, and there are no ill-effects from his car wreck two weeks ago.
Well, one ill-effect: Embarrassment.
“A lot of people want to tie that in there with this injury,” Toews said of his single-vehicle accident on Feb. 23. “But when it rains it pours. I had a rough week and throw that in there with it.
“It’s one of those embarrassing things I didn’t want to get out of my car for a long time.”
Toews re-iterated the crash didn’t impact his concussion — he’s actually having a hard time pinpointing how he got concussed in the first place. He played 21:34 in his last game (a 3-1 win over St. Louis on Feb. 19) and said while he felt “off” during that contest and a few before, his discomfort level was minimal.
“It was one of those things that was so minor at first that it took some time to realize it was something more serious,” he said. “When it comes down to that, you hate to admit it to yourself. You see so many guys around the league dealing with it and you don’t want to be one of those guys. I had to rest and get better.”
Much like the Sidney Crosby watch, it’ll be interesting to see when Toews returns to action. Chicago kicks off a mini three-game homestand tonight against the Rangers, followed by contests against the Kings and Blues. After that, there are just 11 games left in Chicago’s regular-season schedule, including two key dates against Central Division rival Nashville and a season-ending tilt in Detroit.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)