Mar 9, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
Friday was a good news, bad news kind of day for the Chicago Blackhawks.
The bad news was that captain Jonathan Toews is set to miss his ninth consecutive contest with a concussion, and head coach Joel Quenneville said there’s no timetable for return.
The good news? Toews again skated without suffering any setbacks, and there are no ill-effects from his car wreck two weeks ago.
Well, one ill-effect: Embarrassment.
“A lot of people want to tie that in there with this injury,” Toews said of his single-vehicle accident on Feb. 23. “But when it rains it pours. I had a rough week and throw that in there with it.
“It’s one of those embarrassing things I didn’t want to get out of my car for a long time.”
Toews re-iterated the crash didn’t impact his concussion — he’s actually having a hard time pinpointing how he got concussed in the first place. He played 21:34 in his last game (a 3-1 win over St. Louis on Feb. 19) and said while he felt “off” during that contest and a few before, his discomfort level was minimal.
“It was one of those things that was so minor at first that it took some time to realize it was something more serious,” he said. “When it comes down to that, you hate to admit it to yourself. You see so many guys around the league dealing with it and you don’t want to be one of those guys. I had to rest and get better.”
Much like the Sidney Crosby watch, it’ll be interesting to see when Toews returns to action. Chicago kicks off a mini three-game homestand tonight against the Rangers, followed by contests against the Kings and Blues. After that, there are just 11 games left in Chicago’s regular-season schedule, including two key dates against Central Division rival Nashville and a season-ending tilt in Detroit.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 3
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 16
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 18
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 16
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 50
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)