Mar 9, 2012, 2:31 PM EST
Friday was a good news, bad news kind of day for the Chicago Blackhawks.
The bad news was that captain Jonathan Toews is set to miss his ninth consecutive contest with a concussion, and head coach Joel Quenneville said there’s no timetable for return.
The good news? Toews again skated without suffering any setbacks, and there are no ill-effects from his car wreck two weeks ago.
Well, one ill-effect: Embarrassment.
“A lot of people want to tie that in there with this injury,” Toews said of his single-vehicle accident on Feb. 23. “But when it rains it pours. I had a rough week and throw that in there with it.
“It’s one of those embarrassing things I didn’t want to get out of my car for a long time.”
Toews re-iterated the crash didn’t impact his concussion — he’s actually having a hard time pinpointing how he got concussed in the first place. He played 21:34 in his last game (a 3-1 win over St. Louis on Feb. 19) and said while he felt “off” during that contest and a few before, his discomfort level was minimal.
“It was one of those things that was so minor at first that it took some time to realize it was something more serious,” he said. “When it comes down to that, you hate to admit it to yourself. You see so many guys around the league dealing with it and you don’t want to be one of those guys. I had to rest and get better.”
Much like the Sidney Crosby watch, it’ll be interesting to see when Toews returns to action. Chicago kicks off a mini three-game homestand tonight against the Rangers, followed by contests against the Kings and Blues. After that, there are just 11 games left in Chicago’s regular-season schedule, including two key dates against Central Division rival Nashville and a season-ending tilt in Detroit.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 1
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 32
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 56
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)